About This Chapter
Employee Relations & Recognition Programs - Chapter Summary
Ensure you have a quality understanding of employee relations and recognition programs with help from these engaging lessons. Refresh your knowledge of ways companies empower their employees. Also, examine the types programs businesses use to reward their employees' hard work. After finishing the lessons, you'll be prepared to:
- Define employee relations, and discuss the role of HR in meeting employees' needs
- Explain how companies can empower employees and improve employee performance
- List types of incentive and reward programs, and discuss the use of intrinsic and extrinsic rewards
- Identify types of financial rewards for employees
- Discuss the fundamentals of employee recognition programs, and identify types of reward and recognition programs
- Share strategies for successful employee recognition programs and benefits of employee recognition programs
- Describe ways to avoid some common pitfalls of employee recognition programs
Enjoy the ability to examine these lessons at home or on-the-go via your computer, smartphone or tablet. Review one, two or any number of lessons in any sequence that suits your current and desired knowledge of employee relations and recognition programs. When ready, assess your understanding of these concepts by taking short lesson quizzes and a chapter exam. Any questions you have about lesson topics can be submitted to our experts.
1. What Is Employee Relations? - Definition & Concept
Happy employees are productive employees. Successful businesses know how to manage relationships to build lasting employee satisfaction. Learn the meaning of employee relations and understand the essential elements of an effective employee relations program.
2. Role of HR in Meeting the Needs of Employees
This lesson discusses considerations an HR department must make in creating programs that meet the needs of its employees, such as diversity programs, remuneration packages and telecommuting. Read on to learn more.
3. How to Empower Employees & Improve Employee Performance
Empowered employees have the potential to reach high levels of productivity because they feel in control of their jobs. This lesson will describe how a manager can empower an employee to motivate employee performance.
4. Employee Motivation Programs: Incentives and Reward Systems
Every individual is motivated by different things. Money, awards or even just public praise are all parts of motivation. In this lesson, we will dig a little deeper and look at the forms of incentive and rewards programs.
5. Reward Systems & Employee Behavior: Intrinsic & Extrinsic Rewards
Have you ever wondered why some employees are more motivated than others to work at a higher level of productivity? This lesson explains how managers use intrinsic and extrinsic rewards to reinforce positive employee behavior.
6. Financial Rewards for Employees: Definition & Types
For most companies, people are the biggest asset. Motivated employees help the company achieve its mission and goals, and one way to motivate employees is through financial rewards. Let's discuss this method of motivation further in this lesson.
7. The Fundamentals of Employee Recognition Programs
In this lesson, you'll learn about employee recognition programs. You'll discover what factors should be taken into consideration when putting one together, including the total number of employees and the total amount of money allocated, among other things.
8. Types of Reward & Recognition Programs
There are many different ways companies can reward and recognize employees. This lesson will take a look at the importance of employee recognition and some of the different types of reward and recognition programs.
9. Strategies for Successful Employee Recognition Programs
The purpose of this lesson is to discuss strategies to create a successful employee recognition program. We'll look at how, why and when to recognize employees who demonstrate exceptional work.
10. Benefits of Employee Recognition Programs
You want to encourage your employees to work harder, provide greater service, and be more satisfied in their work. This lesson will explain the benefits of a recognition program in achieving these goals.
11. Avoiding Common Pitfalls of Employee Recognition Programs
In this lesson, you'll learn how to create fair employee recognition programs in the workplace. You'll also learn how to avoid showing favoritism when handing out the rewards of the program.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the aPHR Certification Exam Study Guide - Associate Professional in Human Resources course
- Human Resource Operations
- Human Resource Metrics
- HR Data Tools & Collection
- Business Records Management
- Technology & Information Systems for Human Resources
- Job Design & Performance Metrics
- Workplace Organizational Structure
- Functions & Types of Business Management
- Workplace Communication Techniques
- Hiring, Recruiting & Outsourcing for Human Resources
- Compensation Systems, Benefits & Incentive Programs
- Role of HR in Employee Training & Development
- Performance Appraisal in Business Management
- Employee Feedback
- Overview of Employee Rights & Employment Law
- Employee Behavior in the Workplace
- Employee Discipline & Termination
- Employee Health, Safety & Security
- aPHR Certification Exam Study Guide - Associate Professional in Human Resources Flashcards