About This Chapter
Employment Law for Human Resources - Chapter Summary
As you go through these video lessons on employment law for human resources, you can get a better understanding of ADEA law and other regulations related to equal employment opportunity. Expert instructors explain ERISA law and the Fair Labor Standards Act. They also discuss how the Civil Rights Acts of 1964 and 1999 relate to HR management. By the end of the chapter, you should be ready to:
- Recall different laws related to human resource management
- Discuss Title VII laws and regulations
- Explain Title VII requirements for managers and organizations
- Provide examples of ADA regulations
- Detail the effects of the Equal Pay Act
- Relate the importance of the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Outline OSHA health and safety regulations
- Express what the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act entails
The engaging teaching style used by our professional instructors ensures you comprehend employment law for human resources with ease. A short quiz is available for each lesson to test your knowledge of the many topics covered. You can also print the lesson quizzes and use them as handy study worksheets.
1. Human Resource Management (HRM): Laws & Regulations
Learn about several laws, regulations, policies and governing entities that human resource management (HRM) must comply with, like the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title VII, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), sexual harassment and affirmative action.
2. Equal Employment Opportunity: Title VII Law & Regulations
One of the most important employment laws on the books is Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. In this lesson, you'll learn about Title VII, its regulations and how it affects human resources management. A short quiz follows.
3. Equal Employment Opportunity: Title VII Requirements for Managers & Organizations
Violation of Title VII can result in serious consequences for a business. In this lesson, you'll learn important issues and concepts that managers must understand in order to comply with Title VII. A short quiz follows the lesson.
4. Equal Employment Opportunity: ADA Law & Regulations
One of the most important employment laws on the books for human resource managers is the Americans with Disabilities Act. In this lesson, you'll learn some of its key provisions and concepts. A short quiz follows.
5. Equal Employment Opportunity: ADEA Law & Regulations
The Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 will continue to play an important role in human resources management as the U.S. population continues to age. In this lesson, you'll learn about its key provisions.
6. Equal Employment Opportunity: PDA & Regulations
Female employees play a pivotal role in the success of an organization, but have historically been at a career disadvantage if they decide to bear children. In this lesson, you'll learn about the Pregnancy Discrimination Act, including its protections and key provisions.
7. Equal Pay Act: Definition and Effects
Women have made huge strides in the working world in recent decades. However, there is still a problem of unequal pay. In this lesson, you'll learn about the Equal Pay Act and its key provisions. A short quiz follows the lesson.
8. ERISA Law: Explanation & Importance
In the U.S., individuals are primarily responsible for saving for retirement. A pivotal vehicle is employer-sponsored retirement plans. In this lesson, you'll learn about ERISA, which is an important law that regulates private sector benefit plans.
9. Wage and Hour Laws: Overview of the Fair Labor Standards Act
Most people work for others to make a living by trading their labor for a wage and other benefits. In this lesson, you'll learn about the Fair Labor Standards Act and the minimum standards it sets for certain labor practices.
10. Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA): Overview and Importance
Sometimes tragic or important personal events, such as a birth, medical illness or death of a loved one, require us to take time off from work. In this lesson, you'll learn how the Family and Medical Leave Act protects employees during these times.
11. Health and Safety Regulations: OSHA
The workplace can be a dangerous place, and workers are injured and even killed on the job. In this lesson, you'll learn how the Occupational Safety and Health Administration works to minimize dangerous workplace conditions.
12. The Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) Act
Massive layoffs and plant closings can dramatically affect the lives of employees. In this lesson, you'll learn about the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act and how it attempts to alleviate economic fallout.
13. Relation of the Civil Rights Acts of 1964 and 1991 to Human Resource Management
The Civil Rights Act of 1964 is one of the most influential laws affecting employment in the United States. The Civil Rights Act of 1991 amended some of its provisions. In this lesson, you'll learn about how each Act applies to HR Management.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the DSST Human Resource Management: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Introduction to Human Resource Management
- Organizational Theories for Human Resources
- Job Design & Performance Metrics
- Organizational Staffing
- Employee Training & Career Development
- Performance Appraisal in Business Management
- Employee Compensation & Incentives
- Employee Rights & Insurance
- Understanding Labor Relations
- Workforce Diversity & Inclusion
- Organizational Strategy for Human Resources
- Current Issues & Trends in Human Resource Management
- DSST Informational Resources
- DSST Human Resource Management Flashcards