About This Chapter
Employment Law- Chapter Summary
There are different types of laws that impact employees. These laws are meant to protect employees and their rights. In this chapter, you will learn about the different aspects of Equal Employment Opportunity including Title VII, ADA law, ADEA law, and PDA, as well as facets of employee rights. Additionally, some of the topics you will find in this chapter include:
- Employment law
- Policies against discrimination
- Sexual harassment
- Whistleblower Act
- Wrongful termination
- ERISA law
As you work your way through the chapter, you will encounter many resources such as our video lessons, lesson transcripts and video timeline feature. At any point during your studies, you have the chance to reach out to our professional and knowledgeable instructors. They are here to answer any questions you may have about a specific topic within this chapter.
1. What is Employment Law? - An Introduction to Employment Law
Employment law is a broad area of the law. In general, this area governs the employer-employee relationship, but includes many subjects. This lesson will define and explain employment law.
2. What is Discrimination at the Workplace? - Forms, Policies & Practices
Employment discrimination is the unfair treatment of employees based on prejudices. The forms of discrimination can be dependent upon equal pay compensation, sexual orientation, national origin/language, sex, pregnancy, religion, disability, age and race.
3. Sexual Harassment and the Hostile Work Environment
Sexual harassment is a very real and sensitive issue in the workplace. In this lesson, we will discuss sexual harassment, what it means and what it can do to the work environment.
4. Equal Employment Opportunity: Title VII Law & Regulations
One of the most important employment laws on the books is Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. In this lesson, you'll learn about Title VII, its regulations and how it affects human resources management. A short quiz follows.
5. Equal Employment Opportunity: Title VII Requirements for Managers & Organizations
Violation of Title VII can result in serious consequences for a business. In this lesson, you'll learn important issues and concepts that managers must understand in order to comply with Title VII. A short quiz follows the lesson.
6. Equal Employment Opportunity: ADA Law & Regulations
One of the most important employment laws on the books for human resource managers is the Americans with Disabilities Act. In this lesson, you'll learn some of its key provisions and concepts. A short quiz follows.
7. Equal Employment Opportunity: ADEA Law & Regulations
The Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 will continue to play an important role in human resources management as the U.S. population continues to age. In this lesson, you'll learn about its key provisions.
8. Equal Employment Opportunity: PDA & Regulations
Female employees play a pivotal role in the success of an organization, but have historically been at a career disadvantage if they decide to bear children. In this lesson, you'll learn about the Pregnancy Discrimination Act, including its protections and key provisions.
9. Employee Rights: Privacy & Safety
The modern workplace can be an intrusive and sometimes even a dangerous and violent place. In this lesson, you'll learn about employee privacy and safety. Topics will include employee surveillance, social media and workplace safety and violence.
10. Employee Rights: Employment-At-Will Doctrine & Exceptions
Most employment relationships in the United States are subject to the employment-at-will doctrine. In this lesson, you'll learn about the employment-at-will doctrine and its exceptions. You'll also have the chance to take a short quiz.
11. What Is the Whistleblower Act? - Definition, Rights & Protection
A whistleblower is an employee that reports an employer's misconduct. There are laws that protect whistleblowers from being fired or mistreated for reporting misconduct. One of these laws is the Whistleblower Protection Act. This lesson explains the Whistleblower Protection Act and other laws that protect whistleblowers.
12. What Is Wrongful Termination? - Definition & Conditions
Wrongful termination happens when an employee is fired for illegal reasons or for reasons that violate company policy. This lesson explains wrongful termination and takes a look at a case example.
13. ERISA Law: Explanation & Importance
In the U.S., individuals are primarily responsible for saving for retirement. A pivotal vehicle is employer-sponsored retirement plans. In this lesson, you'll learn about ERISA, which is an important law that regulates private sector benefit plans.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Business Education (542): Practice & Study Guide course
- Ethics in Business
- Understanding Contract Law
- Government Regulation of Business
- The Ethics of Advertising, Marketing & Privacy
- Property Law Basics
- Collective Bargaining & Unions
- Workplace Communication
- The Central Bank & Monetary Policy
- Economic & Political Systems
- Basics of Economics & Finance
- Economic Indicators
- Fiscal & Monetary Policies in Economics
- International Trade Laws & Regulations
- Financial Management & Planning
- Fundamentals of Money & Banking
- Principles of Personal Finance
- Securities Market Basics
- Creditors' Rights in Business Law
- Negotiable Instruments
- Insurance & Managing Risk
- Business Planning & Organizational Design
- Organizational & Group Behaviors in Business Management
- Management Styles & Theory
- Leadership and Management
- Motivation in Business Management
- Strategic Decision Making & Problem Solving
- Work Groups & Teams
- Human Resources Basics
- Employee Benefits
- Production & Operations Management
- Computation in Business
- Basic Statistical Analysis for Business
- Quantitative Analysis in Business
- Accounting Fundamentals
- Customer Relationship Strategies & Maintenance
- Starting a New Business
- E-Commerce Business Models
- Use of Information Systems in Business
- Business Software
- Network Systems Technology Overview
- Information Security & Protection
- Career & Professional Development in Business
- GACE Business Education Flashcards