About This Chapter
Employment Laws & Enforcement Agencies - Chapter Summary
Only you know how long it's been since you've studied topics like the definition of the Equal Pay Act, responsibilities of the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement, regulations of the Title VII Law of Equal Employment Opportunity and the list goes on! The great thing is that this chapter presents you with text and video lessons that grab your attention all while helping you review. Once you're finished, quick multiple-choice quizzes will help you see how you're doing with your refresher. Additional topics that are included in this chapter are here:
- Summary of the Fair Labor Standards Act
- Role of the U.S. Department of Labor and their Wage and Hour division
- Position of the Labor & Workforce Development Agency of California
- Requirements for managers under theTitle VII Law of Equal Employment Opportunity
- Regulations of the ADA law, ADEA law, and PDA law
- Explanation of the ERISA
This chapter will offer you the best review possible. You can skip to different topics in the video lessons. Click 'Recent Activity' if you need to go back to a lesson. Don't worry about not having time to spend in front of your computer because this chapter is mobile-friendly! You also have the option of printing out the worksheets.
1. Wage and Hour Laws: Overview of the Fair Labor Standards Act
Most people work for others to make a living by trading their labor for a wage and other benefits. In this lesson, you'll learn about the Fair Labor Standards Act and the minimum standards it sets for certain labor practices.
2. US Department of Labor: Role & Purpose
The federal government leaves much of the labor market in the hands of the free market, but it understands that workers need some support and protection. In this lesson, we'll learn about the U.S. Department of Labor and how it supports American workers.
3. Role of the Department of Labor's Wage & Hour Division
The labor market is a highly regulated market, but it wasn't always that way. In this lesson, we'll discuss the creation of the Wage and Hour Division, the purpose behind it, and the role it plays in the management of labor regulations.
4. Role of California's Labor & Workforce Development Agency
This lesson will review the role of California's Labor and Workforce Development Agency. The seven departments the agency oversees will be discussed, and an overview of department functions will be provided.
5. Division of Labor Standards Enforcement: Role & Responsibilities
This lesson will review the roles and responsibilities of the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement as they relate to labor laws and enforcement that are designed to protect California's workforce.
6. Equal Employment Opportunity: Title VII Law & Regulations
One of the most important employment laws on the books is Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. In this lesson, you'll learn about Title VII, its regulations and how it affects human resources management. A short quiz follows.
7. Equal Employment Opportunity: Title VII Requirements for Managers & Organizations
Violation of Title VII can result in serious consequences for a business. In this lesson, you'll learn important issues and concepts that managers must understand in order to comply with Title VII. A short quiz follows the lesson.
8. Equal Employment Opportunity: ADA Law & Regulations
One of the most important employment laws on the books for human resource managers is the Americans with Disabilities Act. In this lesson, you'll learn some of its key provisions and concepts. A short quiz follows.
9. Equal Employment Opportunity: ADEA Law & Regulations
The Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 will continue to play an important role in human resources management as the U.S. population continues to age. In this lesson, you'll learn about its key provisions.
10. Equal Employment Opportunity: PDA & Regulations
Female employees play a pivotal role in the success of an organization, but have historically been at a career disadvantage if they decide to bear children. In this lesson, you'll learn about the Pregnancy Discrimination Act, including its protections and key provisions.
11. Equal Pay Act: Definition and Effects
Women have made huge strides in the working world in recent decades. However, there is still a problem of unequal pay. In this lesson, you'll learn about the Equal Pay Act and its key provisions. A short quiz follows the lesson.
12. ERISA Law: Explanation & Importance
In the U.S., individuals are primarily responsible for saving for retirement. A pivotal vehicle is employer-sponsored retirement plans. In this lesson, you'll learn about ERISA, which is an important law that regulates private sector benefit plans.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PHR-CA/SPHR-CA Certification Exam: Practice & Study Guide course
- California Employee Compensation Law
- Employment & Employee Relations in California
- California New Hire Documents
- Workplace Posting Requirements
- California Termination Documents
- California Employment Tax Forms & Requirements
- Benefits & Leaves of Absence in California Employment
- Health, Safety & Workers' Compensation in California
- PHR-CA/SPHR-CA Certification Exam Flashcards