About This Chapter
Encouraging Students to Enjoy Reading - Chapter Summary
No matter who you need to motivate, encouragement is one of the most useful tools, and this chapter provides you with an extensive review of techniques for encouraging students to enjoy reading. Our instructors go over these strategies one topic at a time. The name of each lesson clearly establishes which topic will be discussed, so you can use the chapter menu to make the best use of your available study time. You can binge your way through the entire chapter, exploring one lesson right after the other, but you can also skip around, and you don't have to go through every lesson if you don't want to. If you do choose to complete the entire chapter, you will be able to:
- Describe tips and strategies for promoting literacy in the classroom
- Identify the importance of motivation and key motivational strategies
- Indicate different ways to encourage reading development at all levels
- Examine how positive attitudes and language enjoyment improves literacy
- Explain ways that children's books can be used for reading development
- Point out organizational strategies and ideas for setting up classroom libraries
- Assess individual techniques for teaching writing and reading to diverse learners
1. Promoting Literacy in the Classroom: Strategies & Tips
This lesson will help you explore various ways to promote literacy in your classroom that are both educational and fun for students. Learn a few strategies and tips to help your students read for pleasure and by choice.
2. The Importance of Motivation in an Educational Environment
In this lesson, you'll see how motivation affects learning. Discover the behaviors and perspectives that relate to motivation in an educational environment.
3. Strategies for Motivating Students to Read
One of the biggest hurdles of reading instruction is helping students become motivated to read. This lesson will detail several strategies you can use in your classroom to help students become motivated, lifelong readers.
4. Promoting Reading Development at All Levels
Successful teachers provide support for students of all skill and ability levels. This lesson will provide strategies for promoting reading comprehension skills for all students and show how these strategies work in a classroom.
5. Enjoyment of Language for Literacy Development
It is easy to focus on aspects of literacy development like decoding, fluency and comprehension but then forget about the importance of joy. This lesson will discuss the importance of enjoyment of language in literacy development.
6. Encouraging Positive Attitudes About Reading
We can all agree that reading is essential for our students. How do we help them develop positive attitudes towards reading? This lesson contains a number of ideas to get you started promoting positive reading attitudes in your classroom.
7. How Children's Books Facilitate Reading Development
When learning to read, it's important for children to, well, read. Sounds simple, right? Not so fast. The right book can make all the difference between a positive and frustrating experience. This lesson outlines how books help children learn to read and offers a guide to finding that perfect text.
8. Setting Up a Classroom Library: Organization & Ideas
All classrooms have different needs, and having a classroom library can be a great way to reach all your students. Watch this video lesson to learn how to set up an effective classroom library.
9. Teaching Reading & Writing to Diverse Learners
As teachers in today's society, we have to meet the needs of diverse learners. This lesson will help you understand strategies for teaching reading and writing to a wide range of students.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Education 212: Approaches to Teaching Reading course
- Basic Tenets of Teaching Reading
- Teaching Phonics, Word Analysis & Fluency
- Methods of Teaching Reading
- Teaching Vocabulary to New Readers
- Enhancing Student Reading Comprehension
- Materials & Resources for Teaching Reading
- Learning Styles & Reading Instruction
- Factors Impacting Reading Skills & Fluency
- Collaborative Approaches & Classroom Techniques for Reading Instruction
- Assessing Reading Skills & Comprehension