About This Chapter
1. Structures & Functions of the Endocrine System
This lesson will cover the basics of the endocrine system. We will discuss different types of hormones and examine how the glands and hormones work together to make up this system.
2. Hormones: Classification & Receptors
In this lesson, we'll explore the characteristics of hormones and how they initiate change within a cell. You'll learn about polar and non-polar hormones and their roles in cellular signaling.
3. The Functions of Important Hormones
This lesson presents the function of each of the major hormones in the body and identifies the gland that secretes it. Take the short self-assessment quiz when you are through.
4. Pituitary Gland & Hypothalamus: Structure, Function & Hormones
This lesson discusses the pituitary gland and hypothalamus, including hormones that originate from these two organs, hormones/factors that control their regulation, and effects of their hormonal products. The embryological origin of the pituitary gland is also discussed.
5. Common Endocrine Diseases, Related Hormones & Their Effects
This lesson discusses seven endocrine diseases as well as the hormones involved. Specifically, we explore diabetes mellitus, Addison's disease, Cushing's syndrome, hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism, hyperparathyroidism, and hypoparathyroidism.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the HESI Admission Assessment (A2) Exam course
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Reading Comprehension
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Health Care Vocabulary
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Punctuation
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Grammar
- Rules of Sentence Structure
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Math Skills
- Fractions, Decimals and Percentages
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Factors & Multiples
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Solving Equations
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Linear Equations, Inequalities & Functions
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Geometry Basics
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: 3D Shapes
- Everyday Math Skills
- Cells and Tissues
- Skeletal System Function and Parts
- Muscular System Anatomy and Movement
- Integumentary System Function and Structure
- Nervous System Function and Parts
- Reproductive System Functions and Anatomy
- Respiratory System Function and Anatomy
- Cardiovascular System Function and Parts
- Digestive System Function and Parts
- Renal System Function and Anatomy
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Biology
- Cell Types and Functions
- Cell Division Steps
- The Photosynthesis Process
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Chemistry
- HESI Admission Assessment Flashcards