About This Chapter
Endocrine System: Hormones & Mechanisms of Hormone Action - Chapter Summary
An understanding of any bodily system requires comprehension of hormones and the mechanisms of hormone action. If you would like to improve your knowledge in this foundational topic, the videos of this chapter will provide you with ample fodder to do so. This chapter has lessons on the following related subjects:
- Hormone basics, including their definition and functions as well as an introduction to the endocrine system
- The pituitary gland and its hormones and functions
- The thyroid and parathyroid glands
- The adrenal glands and the adrenal cortex
- Pineal gland and pancreas
- Hormones of the testes, ovaries, and placenta
- Mechanisms of hormone action
The videos in this chapter are engaging and in-depth with instruction from experts in the field. Navigating the instructional material is easy and includes tools to cross-reference key terms and skip to specific portions of the videos. You will have an opportunity to test your comprehension with end-of-lesson quizzes and an exam at the end of the chapter.
1. Hormones: Definition, Function & Intro to the Endocrine System
This lesson introduces the endocrine system and provides a brief overview of each endocrine gland. It also provides the definition of hormones and describes their general function inside the body.
2. What Is the Pituitary Gland? - Functions, Hormones & Hypothalamus
In this lesson, we'll discuss the functions of the anterior and posterior portions of the pituitary gland, the hormones they release and the relationship with the hypothalamus.
3. Hormones of the Anterior Pituitary Gland: Names & Functions
The anterior pituitary gland secretes six hormones. In this lesson, you will learn the functions of the hormones: growth hormone (GH), prolactin (PRL), follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH), luteinizing hormone (LH), adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH), and thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH).
4. The Thyroid Gland: Functions, Calcitonin & TSH
Your thyroid gland produces the hormones T3 and thyroxine (T4), which play a role in metabolism. Your thyroid also produces calcitonin, which helps regulate blood calcium levels. In this lesson, you will learn about the thyroid gland and its hormones, including how they are regulated by TSH.
5. Parathyroid Gland: Calcium Metabolism, Osteoclasts & PTH
The parathyroid glands are tiny endocrine glands found on the posterior surface of the thyroid gland. In this lesson,, you will learn about the parathyroid glands, and the role parathyroid hormone plays in maintaining normal blood calcium levels.
6. Adrenal Glands: Function, Cortex & Medulla
The adrenal glands sit on top of your kidneys and are comprised of an inner medulla region that is enclosed by the outer adrenal cortex. Both portions of the adrenal gland secrete hormones that regulate body functions and help maintain internal balance.
7. Adrenal Glands: Epinephrine, Norepinephrine & Stress Adaptation
The adrenal medulla is the central portion of the adrenal gland. In this lesson, you will learn about the two hormones secreted by the adrenal medulla - epinephrine and norepinephrine - and how they help you deal with short-term stressors.
8. Adrenal Cortex: Glucocorticoids and Androgens
The adrenal cortex secretes steroid hormones. In this lesson, you will learn about two of these steroid hormones: glucocorticoids, which help you deal with long-term stress, and androgens, which influence male sexual characteristics.
9. Adrenal Cortex: Aldosterone and Body Fluid Balance
Mineralocorticoids are a type of steroid hormone secreted by the adrenal cortex. In this lesson, you will learn about the main mineralocorticoid, aldosterone, and how it regulates your body's salt and water balance.
10. Pineal Gland, Functions, Melatonin & Circadian Rhythm
Deep inside your brain sits a very small endocrine gland called the pineal gland. This tiny gland secretes the hormone melatonin, and in this lesson, you will learn about the role melatonin plays in regulating sleep and wake cycles.
11. Pancreas: Functions, Anatomy & Insulin Production
The islets of Langerhans within your pancreas produce the hormones insulin and glucagon. In this lesson, you will learn how these hormones regulate your blood sugar level in opposite ways.
12. Hormones of the Testes and Ovaries: Functions & Anatomical Features
The testes and the ovaries secrete steroid hormones that help you grow and develop. In this lesson, we will learn about the female hormones, estrogen and progesterone, and the male hormone, testosterone, and how these hormones influence the development of secondary sex characteristics.
13. Hormones of the Placenta: Estrogen, Progesterone & hCG
The placenta is an endocrine gland that is only present during pregnancy. In this lesson, you will learn about the hormones it produces, including human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG), progesterone, estrogen, and human placental lactogen (hPL).
14. The Mechanisms of Hormone Action
To keep everything regulated, your body constantly needs to send messages to different cells. It does this by using hormones. In this lesson we'll look at how hormones work and what they do.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MCAT Test: Practice and Study Guide course
- Introduction to Organic Chemistry
- Enzymes and Metabolism
- The Transcription and Translation Process
- The Molecular & Chromosomal Basis of Inheritance
- Genetic Variation, Control & Reproduction
- Developmental Mechanisms
- Mendelian Concepts
- Genetic Variability & Mutation
- Analytic Methods in Genetics
- Evolution & Natural Selection
- Development of Vertebrates
- Thermochemistry & Thermodynamics
- Glycolysis, Gluconeogenesis & Metabolic Regulation
- Kinetics and Equilibrium
- Cell Structure, Functions & Processes
- Virus Structure & Life Cycle
- Prokaryotic Cells
- Cell Biology & Cell Cycle
- Nerve, Muscle & Specialized Cell Types
- Nervous System: Structure, Function & Sensory Reception
- Circulatory System Overview
- Lymphatic System
- Immune System: Innate and Adaptive Systems
- Digestive System Functions & Organs
- Urinary Systems & Structures
- Muscle and Skeletal Systems
- Respiratory System
- Skin System
- Human Reproductive Systems
- Reproductive Sequence
- Translational Motion
- Force, Motion & Gravitation
- Equilibrium and Momentum
- Work and Energy
- Principles of Fluids
- Gas Laws
- Electrostatics & Magnetism
- Electronic Circuit Elements
- Light & Geometrical Optics
- Atomic Structure and Components
- Atomic Nucleus
- Electronic Structure
- Trends of the Periodic Table
- Stoichiometric Calculations
- Acids and Bases Overview
- Solution Chemistry
- Molecular Bonding
- Phase Equilibria
- Basic Molecular Biology Laboratory Techniques
- Sensory Processes & Theories
- Human Senses
- Human Attention & Cognition
- States of Human Consciousness
- Characterizing Language Development
- Genetics, Evolution & Environmental Influences on Behavior
- Prenatal Development & Birth
- Principles of Motor Development, Learning & Control
- Development in the Adolescence Years
- Personality Components & Assessment
- Psychological Health & Disorders
- Motivation Types and Sources
- Attitude Types and Theories
- Types of Social Groups & Organizations
- Theories of Deviance & Social Control
- Learning and Conditioning
- Understanding the Self
- Prejudice & Discrimination
- Social Behavior
- Social Structure
- Families, Religions & Schools as Social Institutions
- Political & Economic Systems
- Health and Medicine
- Culture, Socialization & Social Interaction
- Population and Migration
- Sex and Gender Roles
- Social Status
- Principles & Procedures in Scientific Research
- Scientific Basics & Theories
- Scientific Experiments & Data Analysis
- MCAT Test Flashcards