About This Chapter
Energy Changes in Chemical Reactions- Chapter Summary
With the lessons in this chapter, you will learn and review information about energy changes in chemical reactions. These lessons were designed to help you expand your knowledge of chemistry topics. You can learn about the difference between exothermic and endothermic reactions. This chapter will help you to:
- Analyze reaction coordinate diagrams
- Recall the parts of an electrochemical cell
- Identify the two types of voltaic cells
- Review two future energy sources
The self-assessment quizzes included with each lesson were designed to give you the chance to gauge your understanding of the information you have learned. After you are done with the lessons, you can take the chapter test that encompasses material from all of the lessons. The resources in this chapter can be used multiple times until you feel comfortable moving forward to the next chapter.
1. Endothermic and Exothermic Reactions
Explore a chemical reaction at the molecular level. Learn about exothermic and endothermic reactions, what they look like and what happens when they occur. Understand enthalpy and how you can use it to predict whether a reaction will be exothermic or endothermic.
2. Analyzing Energy With a Reaction Coordinate Diagram
In this lesson, we will learn about reaction coordinate diagrams and how they help us analyze energy in reactions. We will learn what the graph means and how to interpret it.
3. Electrochemical Cells and Electrochemistry
Learn to identify the parts of and be able to describe an electrochemical cell, including the electrolyte, electrodes, anodes, and cathodes. Learn how to make a homemade lemon battery and how to diagram an electrochemical cell that will light a light bulb.
4. Types of Voltaic Cells: Batteries vs. Fuel Cells
After completing this lesson, you will be able to explain what a voltaic cell is, and distinguish between two types of voltaic cells: batteries and fuel cells. A short quiz will follow.
5. New Alternative Energy Sources: OTEC, Hydrogen Gas & Fuel Cells
In this lesson you will learn about two potential future alternative energy sources: OTEC and hydrogen fuel cells. Discover the benefits and drawbacks of each, and then test your new knowledge with a quiz following the lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GCSE Chemistry: Practice & Study Guide course
- Steps of the Scientific Method
- Analyzing & Evaluating Scientific Data
- The Process of Scientific Thinking
- Mathematics in Science
- Scientific Vocabulary & Measurement
- Atoms & Atomic Structure
- Properties of Elements, Compounds & Mixtures
- Understanding Elements & Periodicity
- Block & Group Elements
- Chemical Bonds Overview
- Molecular Types & Structures
- States of Matter Overview
- Quantitative Chemistry
- Chemical Changes
- Rate & Extent of Chemical Changes
- Basics of Organic Chemistry
- Chemical Analysis
- Chemistry of the Atmosphere
- Using Natural Resources
- GCSE Chemistry Flashcards