About This Chapter
Energy Forms and Transformations - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you'll refresh your understanding of energy forms and transformations in science. Watch these short and informative video lessons to review the fundamentals of kinetic, potential and thermal energy, the energy conservation process, mechanisms of heat transfer and more. Upon completion of the chapter, you should be able to:
- Assess the relationship between kinetic energy and potential energy
- Compare types of energy transformations
- Outline the process of energy conservation
- Evaluate examples of thermal energy
- Describe conduction, convection and radiation
At the end of each lesson, you'll have the opportunity to take a short quiz that reinforces important terms and concepts about energy forms and transformations. Submit questions to your science experts if you need any extra help, and be sure to take the comprehensive chapter exam. For your convenience, we've made these materials available online 24/7.
1. Kinetic Energy to Potential Energy: Relationship in Different Energy Types
This video defines and describes kinetic and potential energy. You'll learn how different types of energy can be classified as potential and kinetic. You'll also find out how kinetic and potential energy are transformed.
2. Energy Transformation: Definition, Types & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn about the different kinds of energy and how these types of energy can be transformed from one form to another. You will also learn about some uses of these energy transformations in everyday life.
3. What is Energy Conservation? - Definition, Process & Examples
This lesson will explain what the conservation of energy principle is and why it matters, using some real-life examples of how it works in our day-to-day lives. A short quiz will follow.
4. What is Thermal Energy? - Definition & Examples
This lesson defines and identifies examples of thermal energy everywhere from your kitchen to the Earth's core. We'll discuss geothermal energy, a renewable energy source, as well.
5. Mechanisms of Heat Transfer: Conduction, Convection & Radiation
There are three main ways that heat is transferred between substances or objects. In this video lesson you'll learn about each one, and identify the differences between them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES Middle Grades General Science (204): Practice & Study Guide course
- Introduction to Scientific Inquiry
- Historical Development of Scientific Laws & Theories
- Overview of Science & Society
- Intro to Matter
- Atomic Structure in Chemistry Basics
- Trends of the Periodic Table
- Nuclear Processes
- Intro to Chemical Bonds
- Overview of Types of Reactions in Chemistry
- Equilibrium in Chemistry Basics
- Reaction Rates in Chemistry
- Electricity & Magnetism Basics
- Force, Mass & Motion
- Overview of Waves, Sound & Light
- Cell Characteristics, Organization & Processes
- Organism Classification & Phylogenesis Basics
- Animal Reproduction and Development
- Male Reproductive System
- Female Reproductive System
- Physiology I: The Circulatory, Respiratory, Digestive, Excretory, and Musculoskeletal Systems
- Physiology II: The Nervous, Immune, and Endocrine Systems
- Plant Biology
- Plant Reproduction and Growth
- Requirements of Biological Systems
- Basic Genetic Principles
- Intro to the Origin & History of Life On Earth
- Biomes & Ecosystems
- Understanding Earth's Spheres & Internal Structure
- Time & Dating in Geology
- The Lithosphere
- Rocks & Minerals
- Weathering, Erosion & Wasting Basics
- Geological Forms
- Hydrosphere Properties & Characteristics
- Overview of Atmosphere, Weather & Climate
- Intro to the Solar System & the Universe
- NES Middle Grades General Science Flashcards