About This Chapter
Energy in Everyday Life - Chapter Summary
Gain full comprehension of ways energy is used in everyday life by exploring this chapter's bite-sized lessons. Created by expert instructors, these lessons take you on a journey through concepts that include thermal energy, energy transformation and the internal energy of a system. After completing this chapter, you will be able to:
- Describe causes of waves and the origins of vibrations
- List and discuss types of energy conversions
- Define and share types of energy
- Provide the definition of light
- Identify factors that impact the speed of sound
- Discuss ways to model different manifestations of energy
- Outline factors that influence energy transfer efficiency
Utilize the resources in this chapter in any manner that aligns with your study needs. Review one, several or all lessons and take accompanying quizzes to strengthen and assess your knowledge of important energy topics. Submit any questions you have about specific lesson topics to our experts via the Dashboard. These resources are accessible 24 hours a day via any computer or mobile device.
1. Internal Energy of a System: Definition & Measurement
We often talk about individual types of energy, but how do you measure total energy? One way is to find the internal energy of a system. Let's learn what it means and how it is measured.
2. Vibrations and Waves: Energy and Motion
What is a wave? What causes waves, and how do they travel from one place to another? This lesson will guide you through the basics of waves. We'll discuss their origins from vibrations and investigate how they carry energy through a medium.
3. Types of Energy Conversions
After completing this lesson, you will be able to explain what energy is and what we mean when we say energy is 'conserved,' and give some examples of conversions between different types of energy.
4. Energy: Definition & Types
After completing this lesson, you will be able to explain what energy is, list various types of energy, and identify which type or types of energy are present in a situation.
5. What is Thermal Energy? - Definition & Examples
This lesson defines and identifies examples of thermal energy everywhere from your kitchen to the Earth's core. We'll discuss geothermal energy, a renewable energy source, as well.
6. What is Light?
This lesson will define and describe what light is from both technical and more common-use perspectives, discuss what the different kinds of light are, and explain why it's called radiation.
7. What is Sound? - Definition and Factors Affecting the Speed of Sound
Explore the minute workings of sound waves and how they travel. We'll discuss the main factors that affect the speed of sound waves, and we'll try some mathematical problems involving the wave equation.
8. Energy Transformation: Definition, Types & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn about the different kinds of energy and how these types of energy can be transformed from one form to another. You will also learn about some uses of these energy transformations in everyday life.
9. Factors Influencing Energy Transfer Efficiency
Energy is constantly be transferred from one form to another. In this lesson, we will discuss the factors that influence energy transfer efficiency. We will also cover the types of heat generated from energy transfer.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CSET Science Subtest II Physics (220): Test Prep & Study Guide course
- Basic Motion Terms & Concepts
- Newton's Laws & Coulomb's Law
- Types of Motion & Practice Problems
- Understanding Graphs of Motion
- Statics & Dynamics of Newtonian Fluids
- Conservation of Energy & Momentum
- Friction & Air Resistance
- Elastic & Inelastic Collisions
- Radiation, Radioactivity & Nuclear Energy
- Electric Power Generation
- Thermodynamic Laws & Properties
- Kinetic Molecular Theory
- Principles of Electricity & Magnetism
- Capacitors, Resistors & Inductors
- Series, Parallel & Multi-Loop Circuits
- Electric Flow & Potential
- Wave Properties
- Interference & Diffraction
- Refraction, Dispersion & Reflection
- Electromagnetic Radiation
- Application of Waves
- Particle Physics, Special Relativity & Quantum Mechanics
- Nuclear Processes & Calculations
- CSET Science Subtest 2 Physics Flashcards