About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering middle school earth science material will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster or easier way to learn middle school earth science. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding the sources of energy in the earth system
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning science (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about energy in the earth system
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra science learning resources
How it works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Energy in the Earth System chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Energy in the Earth System chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any question about energy in the earth system. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in an energy in the earth system unit of a standard middle school earth science course. Topics covered include:
- Solar energy
- Mechanisms of heat transfer
- Weather vs. climate
- Weather variables
- Effects of air masses on weather
1. The Sun as a Source of Energy for Winds, Currents & the Water Cycle
View this lesson to learn how energy from the sun powers our winds, ocean currents and the water cycle. Learn how the winds, ocean currents and the water cycle react to the energy from the sun.
2. Solar Energy: Effects on Earth's Temperature
In this video lesson, learn about solar energy and how it affects temperatures on Earth. You will also learn what causes changes in day length and why some parts of Earth experience seasonal differences throughout the year.
3. Mechanisms of Heat Transfer: Conduction, Convection & Radiation
There are three main ways that heat is transferred between substances or objects. In this video lesson you'll learn about each one, and identify the differences between them.
4. Weather vs. Climate: Definition, Differences & Effects
This video lesson will guide you in understanding the difference between climate and weather. Discover how they are different but related and how they are the ways you can describe atmospheric conditions on Earth.
5. Factors That Affect Wind: Pressure Gradient Forces, Coriolis Effect & Friction
In this video lesson, you will learn about wind and some factors that affect it, such as air temperature and pressure, the Coriolis effect, and friction. By the end of this lesson, you will also understand how Earth's rotation plays a role in how winds travel.
6. Weather Variables: Air Pressure, Temperature & Density
Weather is influenced by a number of factors. In this lesson, you will learn about three key variables that control weather and how they work together to do so.
7. The General Circulation of the Atmosphere
The Sahara Desert, tropical rainforests, and cold polar winds are all due to Earth's rotation. In this video lesson, you will learn how this rotation has created global air circulation patterns on Earth and how it is responsible for such diverse climate patterns across the globe.
8. Types of Air Masses & Their Effect on Weather
Air masses affect weather in a number of different ways. In this lesson, you will learn about the different types of air masses found on Earth and how the movement of air masses creates changes in the weather.
9. Understanding Weather Fronts: Types & Their Effect on Weather
In this video lesson you will learn about how air masses with different characteristics create weather fronts. You will also identify the different types of fronts, as well as what type of weather occurs along them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Middle School Earth Science: Help and Review course
- Earth's Spheres & Structures: Help and Review
- Understanding Plate Tectonics: Help and Review
- Understanding Earthquakes: Help and Review
- Understanding Volcanoes: Help and Review
- Rock Deformation & Mountain Building: Help and Review
- Shaping the Earth's Surface: Help and Review
- Thermal Energy: Help and Review
- Ecology & Ecosystems: Help and Review
- Earth's Energy Resources: Help and Review
- Earth's Material Resources: Help and Review
- Earth Science Investigation & Experimentation: Help and Review
- Water, Carbon and Nitrogen Cycles