About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Energy in the Earth System chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Solar energy||Definition of solar energy and terms such as summer solstice, winter solstice, equinoxes and terrestrial radiation|
|Tuesday||The sun; heat transfer||How the sun is used as a source of energy, discussion of the water cycle, power winds and ocean currents; mechanisms of heat transfer, such as radiation, conduction and convection|
|Wednesday||Weather vs. climate; wind||Meaning, differences and effects of weather vs. climate; wind factors, including friction, pressure gradient forces and coriolis effect|
|Thursday||Weather variables; atmosphere||Variables such as density, temperature and air pressure; circulation of the atmosphere|
|Friday||Air masses; weather fronts||Types of air masses and their effects on weather; types of weather fronts|
1. The Sun as a Source of Energy for Winds, Currents & the Water Cycle
View this lesson to learn how energy from the sun powers our winds, ocean currents and the water cycle. Learn how the winds, ocean currents and the water cycle react to the energy from the sun.
2. Solar Energy: Effects on Earth's Temperature
In this video lesson, learn about solar energy and how it affects temperatures on Earth. You will also learn what causes changes in day length and why some parts of Earth experience seasonal differences throughout the year.
3. Mechanisms of Heat Transfer: Conduction, Convection & Radiation
There are three main ways that heat is transferred between substances or objects. In this video lesson you'll learn about each one, and identify the differences between them.
4. Weather vs. Climate: Definition, Differences & Effects
This video lesson will guide you in understanding the difference between climate and weather. Discover how they are different but related and how they are the ways you can describe atmospheric conditions on Earth.
5. Factors That Affect Wind: Pressure Gradient Forces, Coriolis Effect & Friction
In this video lesson, you will learn about wind and some factors that affect it, such as air temperature and pressure, the Coriolis effect, and friction. By the end of this lesson, you will also understand how Earth's rotation plays a role in how winds travel.
6. Weather Variables: Air Pressure, Temperature & Density
Weather is influenced by a number of factors. In this lesson, you will learn about three key variables that control weather and how they work together to do so.
7. The General Circulation of the Atmosphere
The Sahara Desert, tropical rainforests, and cold polar winds are all due to Earth's rotation. In this video lesson, you will learn how this rotation has created global air circulation patterns on Earth and how it is responsible for such diverse climate patterns across the globe.
8. Types of Air Masses & Their Effect on Weather
Air masses affect weather in a number of different ways. In this lesson, you will learn about the different types of air masses found on Earth and how the movement of air masses creates changes in the weather.
9. Understanding Weather Fronts: Types & Their Effect on Weather
In this video lesson you will learn about how air masses with different characteristics create weather fronts. You will also identify the different types of fronts, as well as what type of weather occurs along them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Middle School Earth Science Curriculum Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Earth's Spheres & Structure Lesson Plans
- Understanding Plate Tectonics Lesson Plans
- Understanding Earthquakes Lesson Plans
- Understanding Volcanoes Lesson Plans
- Rock Deformation & Mountains Lesson Plans
- Shaping the Earth's Surface Lesson Plans
- Thermal Energy Lesson Plans
- Ecology & Ecosystems Lesson Plans
- Earth's Energy Resources Lesson Plans
- Earth's Material Resources Lesson Plans
- Earth Science Investigation & Experimentation Lesson Plans