About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other middle school Earth science work.
- Identify the earth system energy concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our middle school Earth science tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about energy in the earth system and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding solar energy, mechanisms of heat transfer, weather variables or any other Earth system energy topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their science learning
- Prefer learning science visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their energy in the earth system unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in middle school Earth science
- Don't have access to their science teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about Earth system energy simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live earth science tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about Earth system energy on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Discuss the effects of solar energy on the overall temperature of the Earth.
- Discover how the sun's energy provides power for the oceans and winds.
- Study heat transfer mechanisms.
- Detail the differences between climate and weather.
- Identify factors that influence the wind.
- Explore weather variables such as temperature, density and air pressure.
- Study the Earth's rotation and air circulation patterns throughout the atmosphere.
- Describe different kinds of air masses.
- Discuss the effects of weather fronts on the weather.
1. The Sun as a Source of Energy for Winds, Currents & the Water Cycle
View this lesson to learn how energy from the sun powers our winds, ocean currents and the water cycle. Learn how the winds, ocean currents and the water cycle react to the energy from the sun.
2. Solar Energy: Effects on Earth's Temperature
In this video lesson, learn about solar energy and how it affects temperatures on Earth. You will also learn what causes changes in day length and why some parts of Earth experience seasonal differences throughout the year.
3. Mechanisms of Heat Transfer: Conduction, Convection & Radiation
There are three main ways that heat is transferred between substances or objects. In this video lesson you'll learn about each one, and identify the differences between them.
4. Weather vs. Climate: Definition, Differences & Effects
This video lesson will guide you in understanding the difference between climate and weather. Discover how they are different but related and how they are the ways you can describe atmospheric conditions on Earth.
5. Factors That Affect Wind: Pressure Gradient Forces, Coriolis Effect & Friction
In this video lesson, you will learn about wind and some factors that affect it, such as air temperature and pressure, the Coriolis effect, and friction. By the end of this lesson, you will also understand how Earth's rotation plays a role in how winds travel.
6. Weather Variables: Air Pressure, Temperature & Density
Weather is influenced by a number of factors. In this lesson, you will learn about three key variables that control weather and how they work together to do so.
7. The General Circulation of the Atmosphere
The Sahara Desert, tropical rainforests, and cold polar winds are all due to Earth's rotation. In this video lesson, you will learn how this rotation has created global air circulation patterns on Earth and how it is responsible for such diverse climate patterns across the globe.
8. Types of Air Masses & Their Effect on Weather
Air masses affect weather in a number of different ways. In this lesson, you will learn about the different types of air masses found on Earth and how the movement of air masses creates changes in the weather.
9. Understanding Weather Fronts: Types & Their Effect on Weather
In this video lesson you will learn about how air masses with different characteristics create weather fronts. You will also identify the different types of fronts, as well as what type of weather occurs along them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Middle School Earth Science: Tutoring Solution course
- Earth's Spheres & Structure: Tutoring Solution
- Understanding Plate Tectonics: Tutoring Solution
- Understanding Earthquakes: Tutoring Solution
- Understanding Volcanoes: Tutoring Solution
- Rock Deformation & Mountain Building: Tutoring Solution
- Shaping the Earth's Surface: Tutoring Solution
- Thermal Energy: Tutoring Solution
- Ecology & Ecosystems: Tutoring Solution
- Earth's Energy Resources: Tutoring Solution
- Earth's Material Resources: Tutoring Solution
- Earth Science Investigation & Experimentation: Tutoring Solution