About This Chapter
Energy & Matter - Chapter Summary
Learn more about laws, processes and forms associated with the scientific study of energy and matter. This chapter walks you step-by-step through each of the following topics:
- Defining energy conservation
- The law of matter conservation
- Kinetic and potential energy and their transformations
- Forms of energy conversion
- The physical and chemical properties of matter
- Defining and measuring temperature
- Heat transfer mechanisms
If you're worried about getting scattered, let the dashboard feature tend to all of your virtual organization needs. There, you can check up on your recent activity and progress through the material while also exploring links to pertinent practice quizzes and additional courses relevant to your studies. And, if you ever get stuck, you can also use the dashboard to ask questions of our subject experts.
1. What is Energy Conservation? - Definition, Process & Examples
This lesson will explain what the conservation of energy principle is and why it matters, using some real-life examples of how it works in our day-to-day lives. A short quiz will follow.
2. Law of Conservation of Matter: Definition & Matter
In this lesson, we'll learn the definition of the Law of Conservation of Mass, sometimes called the Conservation of Matter. This lesson explores the discovery of this important principle and covers a few examples of how it works.
3. Kinetic Energy to Potential Energy: Relationship in Different Energy Types
This video defines and describes kinetic and potential energy. You'll learn how different types of energy can be classified as potential and kinetic. You'll also find out how kinetic and potential energy are transformed.
4. Types of Energy Conversions
After completing this lesson, you will be able to explain what energy is and what we mean when we say energy is 'conserved,' and give some examples of conversions between different types of energy.
5. Matter: Physical and Chemical Properties
How are substances identified? There are two major ways we can describe a substance: physical properties and chemical properties. Learn about how chemists use properties to classify matter as either a mixture or a pure substance.
6. What is Temperature? - Definition & Measurement
In the most intuitive terms, temperature refers to how hot or cold something is. Learn more about temperature as a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in an object and test your knowledge with quiz questions.
7. Mechanisms of Heat Transfer: Conduction, Convection & Radiation
There are three main ways that heat is transferred between substances or objects. In this video lesson you'll learn about each one, and identify the differences between them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Science (524): Practice & Study Guide course
- Basics of Scientific Inquiry
- Historical Developments in Science
- Scientific Data Collection & Manipulation
- Data & Statistics
- Energy Resources
- Science & Technology in Daily Life
- Science & Public Health Issues
- Organization of Matter
- Atoms & Moles
- Chemical Bonding
- The Periodic Table
- Chemical Reactions
- Equilibrium & Common Chemical Reactions
- Dimensions of Motion in Physics
- Newton's Laws in Physics
- Force & Pressure
- Waves, Sound, and Light
- Cell Structure & Function
- Cell Growth & The Process of Cell Division
- Biochemistry of Life
- Evolution: Theories and Principles
- Organism Characteristics
- Introduction to Plant Biology
- Human Anatomy
- Population & The Environment
- Atmospheric Sciences
- Understanding Ecosystems
- Minerals and Rocks
- Weathering and Erosion
- Earth's Spheres and Internal Structure
- Plate Tectonics
- Geologic Time
- Water Balance
- Glaciers, Lakes, Rivers & Other Bodies of Water
- The Atmosphere of Earth
- Weather and Storms
- The Solar System: Layout, Formation & Dating
- The Earth, Sky, and Moon
- The Moon: Formation & Phases
- Origins & Theories of the Universe
- GACE Science Flashcards
- Laboratory Equipment and Procedures