About This Chapter
Energy Production & Natural Resource Management- Chapter Summary
The activities of this chapter have been composed to aid you in your review of this specific scientific subject. The information that will be taught in this chapter includes conservation biology and electricity generation. Concepts that you will learn about in this chapter include:
- Difference resources that can be regenerated and others that cannot
- The importance of reducing the human impact on the world
- Concepts such as sustainable agriculture, forestry and energy
- Major sources of power generation and sources such as nuclear, wind, solar and geothermal
- Methods used to extract minerals for use
If you have any questions about the topics of this chapter, be sure to send them to our professional instructors so that they can clarify any confusion you may have. Once you take the lesson quizzes, use the results of the quiz to go back into the lesson to review anything you have missed. The video lessons feature video tags that allow you to skip around the lesson, and the text transcripts feature bold terms to point out the important parts of the material.
1. Renewable & Non-Renewable Resources: Definition & Differences
We use a variety of Earth's resources, but not all of them will be around forever. This lesson explains the difference between resources that can be regenerated for our use and those that are gone after they are used once.
2. What Is Conservation Biology? - Definition & Principles
Conservation biology aims to reduce the human impact on the environment by looking for the causes and possible solutions to these problems. In this lesson, you'll learn about conservation biology and the different types of conservation.
3. Environmental Sustainability: Definition and Application
Environmental sustainability allows for the needs of man to be met without jeopardizing the ability of future generations to meet their needs. Learn applications of environmental sustainability, including sustainable agriculture, forestry and energy.
4. Comparing Major Sources of Electricity Generation
In this lesson we'll review the basic process for generating electricity, go over the four main types of electricity generation in the United States such as coal, natural gas, nuclear and hydroelectric power, and then touch on other, renewable sources.
5. Extraction and Processing of Minerals & the Environmental Impacts of Mineral Use
In this lesson, you will learn about the different methods used to extract minerals from the ground and gain an understanding about how different types of mining affect the environment.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Middle Grades Science (014): Practice & Study Guide course
- Scientific Inquiry & Design
- Nature of Scientific Knowledge
- Major Developments & Historical Figures in Science
- Collecting & Analyzing Scientific Data
- Science Laboratory & Field Equipment Safety
- Environmental Effects of Science & Technology
- Science & Technology in Consumer Products
- The Atomic Model, Energy & Matter
- Concepts & Relationships Between Energy & Matter
- Basics of the Periodic Table
- Chemical Compounds & Reactions
- Acid-Base Chemistry
- Solutions & Solubility
- Basic Concepts of Mechanics
- Electricity & Magnetism Concepts
- Waves & Optics
- Structure & Function of Cells & Organelles
- Basic Biochemistry of Life
- Basic Genetics
- Evolution, Natural Selection & Biological Diversity
- Hierarchical Classification of Living Things
- Plant Structures & Function
- Animal & Human Anatomy & Physiology
- Population Dynamics & Ecology
- Intro to Rocks, Minerals & Soil
- Earth's Structure & Internal Processes
- Effects of Plate Tectonics
- Historical Geology
- Water Cycle
- Earth's Oceans & Landforms
- Freshwater Characteristics & Processes
- Atmosphere & Weather
- Climate & Seasons
- Exploring Features of the Solar System
- Earth-Moon-Sun System
- GACE Middle Grades Science Flashcards