About This Chapter
Energy Transfer & Climate Change - Chapter Summary
Feel confident in your comprehension of the water cycle, greenhouse effect, greenhouse gas and much more using this chapter's lessons as your study guide. Our instructors take a close look at the basics of energy transfer and climate change, enabling you to do the following in a short time:
- Explain the processes of precipitation, condensation and evaporation
- Define runoff and infiltration
- Describe how energy is transferred in Earth's interior, atmosphere and ocean
- Discuss the impact of the greenhouse effect
- Detail causes and effects of greenhouse gas
- Share details about the biosphere and ocean absorption of greenhouse gases
- Provide an explanation of the impact humans have on the environment
This chapter is designed to accommodate individuals with busy schedules. Enjoy the freedom of choosing only the lessons you need to study, and benefit from around-the-clock access using any computer or mobile device with an Internet connection. Quickly confirm your understanding of energy transfer and climate change by taking multiple-choice lesson quizzes and a more expansive chapter exam. Our Dashboard keeps track of your progress and lets you submit any lesson topic questions you have to our experts.
1. The Water Cycle: Precipitation, Condensation, and Evaporation
This lesson discusses the processes water takes as it moves around the Earth in the water cycle. You'll get an in-depth look at condensation, precipitation, and evaporation.
2. Runoff & Infiltration: Definition & Process
When water falls to the ground as precipitation, it can either fill the spaces in the soil below ground or run across the surface. In this video lesson, you will learn about the processes of infiltration and runoff, and how they are an important part of the water cycle on Earth.
3. Energy Transfer in Earth's Interior, Atmosphere & Ocean
Energy transfer in the atmosphere, ocean, and Earth's interior occurs as a result of three basic processes: convection, conduction, and radiation. In this lesson, you will explore these three processes in more detail through common examples.
4. What is the Greenhouse Effect? - Definition & Impact
After completing this lesson, you will be able to explain what the greenhouse effect is, how it works, how significant it is on Earth, and how humans have affected it. A short quiz will follow.
5. What Is Greenhouse Gas? - Definition, Causes & Effects
You hear a lot about greenhouse gases and the greenhouse effect these days, but what exactly is a greenhouse gas? You may be surprised to learn that greenhouse gases are not only naturally occurring, but are also essential to life on Earth.
6. Biosphere & Ocean Absorption of Greenhouse Gases
In this lesson, we're going to be learning about how the ocean and biosphere help control global warming by absorbing greenhouse gases. We'll look at how this is affecting the Earth and the prognosis for years to come.
7. Human Impacts on the Environment
The human population continues to grow, but the size of Earth and the resources available for our use are limited. Humans greatly impact the world around them, and our actions can and often do have dramatic and long-lasting consequences.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CSET Science Subtest I - General Science (215): Practice & Study Guide course
- Performing Scientific Investigations
- Analysis & Conclusions in Scientific Investigations
- Math Concepts & Scientific Data Analysis
- Engineering Practices, Design & Applications
- Crosscutting Concepts in Science & Engineering
- Understanding Atoms, Elements & the Periodic Table
- Overview of Nuclear Energy
- Overview of Matter
- Chemical Reactions & Biochemistry
- Overview of Newton's Laws of Motion
- Pressure, Fluid Flow & Buoyancy
- Understanding Types of Force
- Graphs of Motion
- Understanding Waves
- Types of Energy & Energy Transfers
- Electricity & Magnetism Fundamentals
- Understanding Cell Structure & Functions
- Overview of Plant Biology
- Energy Transfer in Organisms
- Understanding Basics of Ecology
- Overview of Genetics & DNA
- Understanding Principles of Heredity
- Understanding Basics of Evolution
- Formation of the Universe
- Overview of Astronomy
- Earth's Materials, Systems & Surface Processes
- Overview of Plate Tectonics
- Basics of Weather & Climate
- Natural Resources & Hazards
- CSET General Science Subtest 1 Flashcards