About This Chapter
Energy Transfer & Climate Change - Chapter Summary
Feel confident in your comprehension of the water cycle, greenhouse effect, greenhouse gas and much more using this chapter's lessons as your study guide. Our instructors take a close look at the basics of energy transfer and climate change, enabling you to do the following in a short time:
- Explain the processes of precipitation, condensation and evaporation
- Define runoff and infiltration
- Describe how energy is transferred in Earth's interior, atmosphere and ocean
- Discuss the impact of the greenhouse effect
- Detail causes and effects of greenhouse gas
- Share details about the biosphere and ocean absorption of greenhouse gases
- Provide an explanation of the impact humans have on the environment
This chapter is designed to accommodate individuals with busy schedules. Enjoy the freedom of choosing only the lessons you need to study, and benefit from around-the-clock access using any computer or mobile device with an Internet connection. Quickly confirm your understanding of energy transfer and climate change by taking multiple-choice lesson quizzes and a more expansive chapter exam. Our Dashboard keeps track of your progress and lets you submit any lesson topic questions you have to our experts.
1. The Water Cycle: Precipitation, Condensation, and Evaporation
Water on Earth moves from place to place thanks to different processes that take place in the water cycle. Learn how water moves around the Earth in the water cycle, see how water transforms from one state to another through the evaporation, condensation, and precipitation processes, and check other parts of the water cycle.
2. Runoff & Infiltration: Definition & Process
When rain falls, it becomes either runoff, which means it is unable to soak into the ground, or infiltration, which happens when the soil can absorb the amount of rain that falls. Learn more about the definitions of runoff and infiltration processes and discover the effects of runoff on the environment.
3. Energy Transfer in Earth's Interior, Atmosphere & Ocean
Energy transfer in the atmosphere, ocean, and Earth's interior occurs as a result of three basic processes: convection, conduction, and radiation. In this lesson, you will explore these three processes in more detail through common examples.
4. What is the Greenhouse Effect? - Definition & Impact
The greenhouse effect is warming due to the effect of the sun's heat on the trapped gases in the atmosphere. Learn about greenhouse gases, the greenhouse effect and its impact, and understand the impact of humans on global warming.
5. What Is Greenhouse Gas? - Definition, Causes & Effects
Any gas that is trapped by heat within the atmosphere is known as a greenhouse gas. Understand the definition, and causes and effects of greenhouse gas, and examine the different types of greenhouse gases.
6. Biosphere & Ocean Absorption of Greenhouse Gases
In this lesson, we're going to be learning about how the ocean and biosphere help control global warming by absorbing greenhouse gases. We'll look at how this is affecting the Earth and the prognosis for years to come.
7. Human Impacts on the Environment
Human activities have their impacts on the environment which are usually negative effects. Learn about how humans are destructive to the environment, and how this causes global climate change, habitat loss, and overharvesting.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the CSET Science Subtest I - General Science (215): Practice & Study Guide course
- Performing Scientific Investigations
- Analysis & Conclusions in Scientific Investigations
- Math Concepts & Scientific Data Analysis
- Engineering Practices, Design & Applications
- Crosscutting Concepts in Science & Engineering
- Understanding Atoms, Elements & the Periodic Table
- Overview of Nuclear Energy
- Overview of Matter
- Chemical Reactions & Biochemistry
- Overview of Newton's Laws of Motion
- Pressure, Fluid Flow & Buoyancy
- Understanding Types of Force
- Graphs of Motion
- Understanding Waves
- Types of Energy & Energy Transfers
- Electricity & Magnetism Fundamentals
- Understanding Cell Structure & Functions
- Overview of Plant Biology
- Energy Transfer in Organisms
- Understanding Basics of Ecology
- Overview of Genetics & DNA
- Understanding Principles of Heredity
- Understanding Basics of Evolution
- Formation of the Universe
- Overview of Astronomy
- Earth's Materials, Systems & Surface Processes
- Overview of Plate Tectonics
- Basics of Weather & Climate
- Natural Resources & Hazards
- CSET General Science Subtest 1 Flashcards