About This Chapter
Energy Transfers in Physics - Chapter Summary
Learn about energy transfers in physics for the first time or improve your existing knowledge with help from this chapter's fun lessons. Review them anytime to study closed and open systems, heat transfer, radiation and other related topics. When ready, assess your comprehension of the lessons by taking multiple-choice quizzes and a chapter exam. If you need help understanding specific lesson topics, feel free to send your questions to our experts. By the end of this chapter, you should be able to:
- Describe how energy transfers and changes forms
- Define open and closed systems
- Understand heat transfer through conduction and convection
- Discuss radiation, heat transfer and the Stefan-Boltzmann law
- Explain energy transfer in chemical and physical processes
- Detail the energy transfer and conservation in electrical circuits
1. Energy Transfer: Examples & Overview
Learn about energy and how the sun provides the energy needed to sustain life on Earth. Discover energy transfer and how energy is neither created nor destroyed, but moves from one place to another or changes from one form to another.
2. Closed & Open Systems: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn the difference between closed and open physical systems. Explore examples of when each kind of system occurs, and learn why scientists sometimes choose one over the other.
3. Heat Transfer Through Conduction: Equation & Examples
After watching this lesson, you should be able to explain how heat transfers by conduction, give examples of conduction and complete conduction calculations. A short quiz will follow.
4. Heat Transfer Through Convection: Natural vs. Forced
After watching this lesson, you will be able to explain what convection is, both natural and forced, give some examples of convection, and complete some basic calculations. A short quiz will follow.
5. Radiation, Heat Transfer & the Stefan-Boltzmann Law
After watching this lesson, you will be able to explain how radiative heat transfer works, give some real-life examples of radiation, and use the Stefan-Boltzmann Law to complete radiation calculations. A short quiz will follow.
6. Electrical Circuits: Energy Transfer & Conservation
After completing this lesson, you will be able to explain what an electric circuit it, how energy transfers in a circuit, and how circuits relate to the conservation of energy. A short quiz will follow.
7. Enthalpy: Energy Transfer in Physical and Chemical Processes
This video explores the relationship between chemistry and energy. We learn the general properties of energy and the concepts of temperature and heat. We will learn about energy flow and consider the enthalpy change during chemical reactions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Physics 112: Physics II course
- Heat Transfer & Interaction
- The Basics of Thermodynamics
- Ideal Gas Law & Kinetic Theory
- Light & Electromagnetic Waves
- Mirrors & Lenses in Geometric Optics
- Basics of Electrostatics
- Magnetism Basics
- Series, Parallel & Combined Circuits
- Capacitors, Inductors & Alternating Current
- Modern Quantum Theory
- Basic Nuclear Physics
- General & Special Relativity
- Studying for Physics 112