About This Chapter
Energy Transformations & Thermodynamics - Chapter Summary
Our instructors make studying energy transformations and thermodynamics simple and effective. By exploring entertaining lessons, you can gain greater insight into energy transfer, the laws of thermodynamics, energy conservation and much more. Once you've completed this chapter, you will be able to:
- Share examples and an overview of energy transfer
- Describe the relationship between kinetic energy and potential energy
- Explain how energy is transformed in living organisms
- Define and discuss the process of energy conservation
- Discuss how to apply the first law of thermodynamics
- Exhibit knowledge of the second and third laws of thermodynamics
This chapter's self-paced format allows you to study any time your schedule permits and visit as much as needed to build a quality understanding of energy transformations and thermodynamics. The lessons are available in both video and transcript formats, making it easy to study by watching visual presentations or reading texts. Find out how well you grasp concepts covered in the lessons by taking our multiple-choice quizzes and practice exam. The Dashboard keeps track of your progress and lets you submit any questions you have about specific lesson topics to our subject-matter experts.
1. Energy Transfer: Examples & Overview
Learn about energy and how the sun provides the energy needed to sustain life on Earth. Discover energy transfer and how energy is neither created nor destroyed, but moves from one place to another or changes from one form to another.
2. Kinetic Energy to Potential Energy: Relationship in Different Energy Types
This video defines and describes kinetic and potential energy. You'll learn how different types of energy can be classified as potential and kinetic. You'll also find out how kinetic and potential energy are transformed.
3. Energy and Life: The Transformation of Energy in Living Organisms
While the sun is an excellent source of energy, not all forms of life can utilize the sun's energy directly. This lesson describes how plants transform the sun's energy into potential energy stored in sugar, how living organisms utilize energy in sugar to perform work, and how the relationship between photosynthesis and cellular respiration is necessary for life.
4. What is Energy Conservation? - Definition, Process & Examples
This lesson will explain what the conservation of energy principle is and why it matters, using some real-life examples of how it works in our day-to-day lives. A short quiz will follow.
5. Applying the First Law of Thermodynamics to Reactions & Processes
In this lesson, we'll see how different forms of energy are related. We'll learn and apply the laws of conservation of mass and energy to chemical reactions, physical processes, nuclear reactions, and biological processes. A quiz will test your new knowledge.
6. Second Law of Thermodynamics: Entropy and Systems
In this lesson, we'll learn about the second law of thermodynamics. By studying this law, you'll understand how energy works and why we're all moving towards eventual chaos and disorder.
7. The Third Law of Thermodynamics & Its Application to Absolute Entropy
After completing this lesson, you will be able to explain what the third law of thermodynamics is, and how that relates to the concept of absolute entropy. A short quiz will follow.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TExMaT Master Science Teacher 8-12 (092): Practice & Study Guide course
- Nature of Science & Unifying Themes
- The History & Societal Contexts of Science
- Methods of Scientific Inquiry
- Managing Scientific Data
- TExMaT Master Science Teacher 8-12: Laboratory Equipment & Procedures
- TExMaT Master Science Teacher 8-12: Organization of Matter
- TExMaT Master Science Teacher 8-12: States of Matter
- TExMaT Master Science Teacher 8-12: Chemical Reactions Basics
- TExMaT Master Science Teacher 8-12: Types of Chemical Reactions
- TExMaT Master Science Teacher 8-12: The Periodic Table
- TExMaT Master Science Teacher 8-12: Newton's Laws & Gravity
- TExMaT Master Science Teacher 8-12: Physics Dimensions of Motion
- TExMaT Master Science Teacher 8-12: Analyzing Forces
- Electrical Nature & Magnetism
- TExMaT Master Science Teacher 8-12: Waves, Optics & Sound
- TExMaT Master Science Teacher 8-12: Cell Structure & Function
- TExMaT Master Science Teacher 8-12: Cell Reproduction & Division
- TExMaT Master Science Teacher 8-12: Biochemistry of Life
- TExMaT Master Science Teacher 8-12: Introduction to Organic Chemistry
- TExMaT Master Science Teacher 8-12: Nucleic Acids
- Homeostasis & Health Maintenance
- TExMaT Master Science Teacher 8-12: Reproduction & Development
- TExMaT Master Science Teacher 8-12: Genetics & Heredity
- TExMaT Master Science Teacher 8-12: Biological Evolution
- TExMaT Master Science Teacher 8-12: Ecosystems & Biomes
- TExMaT Master Science Teacher 8-12: Minerals, Rocks & Soil
- TExMaT Master Science Teacher 8-12: Renewable Resources
- TExMaT Master Science Teacher 8-12: Nonrenewable Resources
- Earth's Formation & Processes
- Overview of the Hydrosphere
- Earth's Atmosphere, Weather & Climate
- TExMaT Master Science Teacher 8-12: Plate Tectonics
- TExMat Master Science Teacher 8-12: The Solar System & Universe
- Alignment of Texas Science Instruction for High Schoolers
- Teaching Strategies for High School Science
- The Science Learning & Teaching Environment
- Using Different Types of Student Assessments
- Leadership, Communication & Collaboration in Science Education
- Mentoring & Professional Development for Texas Science Teachers
- TExMaT Master Science Teacher 8-12 Flashcards