About This Chapter
Engineering Practices, Design & Applications - Chapter Summary
Improving your knowledge of engineering practices, design and applications is a simple process when utilizing the study resources in this chapter. Explore entertaining lessons developed by expert instructors to closely examine the relationship between science and technology, engineering design models and more. After completing this chapter, you will be ready to:
- Define and discuss the process of engineering design
- Share examples of design constraints in engineering
- Detail the process of optimizing a design solution in engineering
- Discuss how models are used in engineering design
- Explain how technology and science can be used to solve society's problems
Each lesson in this chapter is available to view 24 hours a day via any computer or mobile device with an Internet connection. Study during the timeframes that suit your schedule, and visit as many times as you'd like to ensure you have a solid grasp of lesson contents. If you have questions about topics covered in this chapter, don't hesitate to submit them to our experts via the Dashboard. Before the day of your test, be sure to confirm your understanding of the lessons by taking our multiple-choice quizzes and practice exam.
1. Engineering Design: Definition & Process
In this lesson, we will define engineering design and explain the engineering design process from defining the problem to testing and redesigning the final product.
2. Design Constraints in Engineering: Definition & Example
In this lesson, we'll explore the many design constraints that affect engineering projects. We'll explain what design constraints are and why they are important, and then we'll look at examples of some common constraints.
3. How Science & Technology Are Related
What are science and technology, and how are they related? Learn about how science leads to technology, and technology leads to science. Discover some examples from history.
4. How Science & Technology Can Be Used to Solve Society's Problems
What is science and technology, and how do we use them to solve society's problems? Learn about the many advances humans have made thanks to science, then test your knowledge with a quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CSET Science Subtest I - General Science (215): Practice & Study Guide course
- Performing Scientific Investigations
- Analysis & Conclusions in Scientific Investigations
- Math Concepts & Scientific Data Analysis
- Crosscutting Concepts in Science & Engineering
- Understanding Atoms, Elements & the Periodic Table
- Overview of Nuclear Energy
- Overview of Matter
- Chemical Reactions & Biochemistry
- Overview of Newton's Laws of Motion
- Pressure, Fluid Flow & Buoyancy
- Understanding Types of Force
- Graphs of Motion
- Understanding Waves
- Types of Energy & Energy Transfers
- Electricity & Magnetism Fundamentals
- Understanding Cell Structure & Functions
- Overview of Plant Biology
- Energy Transfer in Organisms
- Understanding Basics of Ecology
- Overview of Genetics & DNA
- Understanding Principles of Heredity
- Understanding Basics of Evolution
- Formation of the Universe
- Overview of Astronomy
- Earth's Materials, Systems & Surface Processes
- Overview of Plate Tectonics
- Basics of Weather & Climate
- Energy Transfer & Climate Change
- Natural Resources & Hazards
- CSET General Science Subtest 1 Flashcards