About This Chapter
English Spelling Rules & Conventions - Chapter Summary
If you need to review basic English spelling rules and conventions, these engaging English lessons will show you everything you need to know. After identifying conventional English spelling rules, you'll explore related topics, including homophones, mnemonic devices, spelling strategies and more. These lessons are designed to be short and engaging so you can quickly take away the most important spelling rules and concepts. Be sure to take the chapter's self-assessment quizzes to check your understanding of these spelling rules. By the end of the chapter, you'll be able to:
- Outline common English spelling rules
- Recognize homophones and homographs
- Identify commonly confused English words
- Use mnemonic devices to help you spell words
- Understand plural noun spelling rules
- Evaluate correct spelling strategies
1. General English Spelling Rules
In this lesson, we detail just a few of the numerous general spelling rules in the English language, while also taking note of the exceptions to each guideline.
2. Homophones: Lesson for Kids
Homophones are words that sound the same but have different meanings. Read the following lesson to learn how to tell homophones apart, how to tell the difference between 'problem pairs' of homophones and how to choose the right homophone in your own writing.
3. Homographs: Lesson for Kids
Homographs can be challenging, especially for young learners. Read the following lesson to learn about homographs and discover some tips on using context clues to identify homographs.
4. Commonly Confused Words in English
Is it 'accept' or 'except?' 'Affect' or 'effect?' How do you know when to use 'there,' 'their,' or 'they're?' Watch this video lesson to learn about some confusing words in English and how to properly use each one.
5. Using Mnemonic Devices to Spell
Spelling can prove to be a difficult of a task, but there are plenty of ways to remember how to spell. Mnemonic devices can help you remember tricky spellings of words. In this lesson, we will go over some.
6. English Spelling Rules for Plural Nouns
Our world is filled with nouns. For such an important part of speech, it is vital to follow the right spelling rules. In this lesson, we will discuss the rules for spelling plural nouns.
7. Correct Spelling in Written Work: Strategies & Tips
In this lesson, we will discuss why it is important to have correct spelling in your writing. We will then discuss some tips to be sure you are using correct spelling.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 6th Grade Language Arts course
- 6th Grade Vocabulary Skills & Word Usage
- Parts of Speech Usage
- Pronoun Usage & Agreement Basics
- Interjections, Conjunctions & Prepositions
- Punctuation & Sentence Structure
- The Writing Process & Types of Writings
- Speaking, Listening & Study Skills
- 6th Grade Reading Strategies Basics
- 6th Grade Reading Comprehension
- Characteristics of Literature
- Characteristics of Literary Elements
- Characteristics of Literary Devices
- 6th Grade Reading Practice: Matilda
- 6th Grade Reading Practice: James & the Giant Peach