Ch 37: Environmental Biology Overview
About This Chapter
Environmental Biology Overview - Chapter Summary
By studying these lessons, you will heighten your understanding of environmental biology, including different types of air and water pollutants. This chapter can also help you understand what can be expected as a result of rising carbon dioxide levels within the Earth's atmosphere. After reviewing the lessons, you should be ready to do the following:
- Provide examples of biological pollutants
- Discuss sources of air and water pollution
- Explain the reason for deforestation
- Recall the role of greenhouse gases on global warming
- Discuss the history of human population growth
- Graph logistic population growth
- Describe how population growth impacts the environment
A brief quiz is available to test your understanding of environmental biology, and you can print the quiz to study offline. You can also get help from our instructors if you get stuck on a topic. Vocabulary words are highlighted in bold for quick reference.
1. Pollution: Physical, Chemical & Biological
Pollution is the existence of unwanted and harmful substances in the environment. Learn more about different types of pollution (including physical, chemical, and biological) and how they can negatively affect the environment.
2. What Is Air Pollution? - Definition, Sources & Types
Air pollution is a mixture of harmful particles and gases in the atmosphere. Learn the definition of air pollution, discover its sources, and explore the different types of air pollutants that exist.
3. Water Pollution: Definition, Types, and Sources
Water is arguably our most precious resource; however, water pollution can have detrimental effects on the health and welfare of people throughout the world. Learn what water pollution is and its sources, and distinguish between surface and groundwater pollution.
4. Deforestation: Definition, Causes & Consequences
The mass clearing of trees with no intention of replacing the trees is called deforestation. Learn more about the definition, causes, and global consequences of deforestation and its cousin, clearcutting.
5. Fossil Fuels, Greenhouse Gases, and Global Warming
Fossil fuels and greenhouse gases are some of the environmental factors that contribute to global warming. Learn about these factors and how humans affect the carbon cycle, and perhaps understand that global warming isn't the end of the world as yet.
6. The History of Human Population Growth and Carrying Capacity
Human population growth and the earth's carrying capacity have been studied for decades through the study of demography. Learn more about demography and the important periods of human population growth--the pre-agricultural period, the agricultural period, and the industrial period--in this lesson.
7. Logistic Population Growth: Equation, Definition & Graph
Logistic population growth refers to the process of a population's growth rate decreasing as the number of individuals in the population increases. Explore the definition for logistic population growth and learn how to graph it. Use the equation to calculate logistic population growth, recognizing the importance of carrying capacity in the calculation.
8. Population Growth, the Environment & Environmental Change
Population growth puts increasing demands on the environment due to the consumption of food and natural resources. See the relationship of population growth to environmental change, including some positive impacts of this growth, as well.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the ISC Biology: Study Guide & Syllabus course
- Microscopes Basics & Techniques
- Classification & Diversity of Life
- Kingdom Monera, Protista & Fungi
- Classification in the Animal Kingdom
- Overview of Vertebrates
- Classification in the Plant Kingdom
- Plant Physiology: Growth & Nutrition
- Plant Tissue: Structure & Function
- Absorption & Movement of Water in Plants
- Plant Morphology
- Reproduction of Flowering Plants
- Mechanisms of Photosynthesis
- Mechanisms of Cellular Respiration
- Cell Structure Overview
- Cell Membrane Basics
- DNA Basics
- Recombinant DNA & Its Applications
- Overview of Basic Genetic Principles
- Chromosomes & Genetics
- The Cell Cycle, Mitosis & Meiosis
- Overview of Biomolecules
- Enzyme Mechanisms
- Animal Tissue: Structure & Function
- Nutrition & the Digestive System
- Human Respiratory System Overview
- Basics of the Circulatory System
- Excretory System Overview
- Endocrine System Overview
- Basics of the Nervous System
- The Musculoskeletal System
- Human Reproduction & Development Basics
- Human Disease & Defense
- Origin & Evolution of Life
- Overview of Ecosystems
- Community Ecology Overview
- Overview of Biodiversity
- Biological Applications in Agriculture
- ISC Biology Flashcards