About This Chapter
Environmental Biology Overview - Chapter Summary
By studying these lessons, you will heighten your understanding of environmental biology, including different types of air and water pollutants. This chapter can also help you understand what can be expected as a result of rising carbon dioxide levels within the Earth's atmosphere. After reviewing the lessons, you should be ready to do the following:
- Provide examples of biological pollutants
- Discuss sources of air and water pollution
- Explain the reason for deforestation
- Recall the role of greenhouse gases on global warming
- Discuss the history of human population growth
- Graph logistic population growth
- Describe how population growth impacts the environment
A brief quiz is available to test your understanding of environmental biology, and you can print the quiz to study offline. You can also get help from our instructors if you get stuck on a topic. Vocabulary words are highlighted in bold for quick reference.
1. Pollution: Physical, Chemical & Biological
Pollution is the presence of unwanted substances in an environment. It is often the result of human interference. Learn about physical, chemical and biological pollutants and see examples of each.
2. What Is Air Pollution? - Definition, Sources & Types
In this video lesson, you will learn about the sources and types of air pollution. You will be able to identify the six classes of air pollutants identified by the Environmental Protection Agency and the Clean Air Act of 1970.
3. Water Pollution: Definition, Types, and Sources
In this lesson, you will learn about the different types and sources of water pollution. You will gain an understanding of both surface water and groundwater pollution and the similarities and differences between them.
4. Deforestation: Definition, Causes & Consequences
Deforestation is the clearing of trees without the intent of replacing them or reestablishing a stand of trees. Learn reasons for deforestation and discover the consequences of this process in all forests, including tropical forests.
5. Fossil Fuels, Greenhouse Gases, and Global Warming
In this video lesson, you'll learn what roles fossil fuels and greenhouse gases play in global warming, as well as what life on Earth can expect due to rising carbon dioxide levels within Earth's atmosphere.
6. The History of Human Population Growth and Carrying Capacity
Most of us are used to the current size of the human population but it was not always this large. In this lesson, we will explore the history of human population growth and the future of its growth.
7. Logistic Population Growth: Equation, Definition & Graph
Populations tend to get larger until there is no longer enough food or space to support so many individuals. This type of growth is called logistic population growth, and you can learn more about it in this lesson.
8. Population Growth, the Environment & Environmental Change
Human populations are growing at an incredible rate, and this could have serious impacts on the environment. Explore these impacts and test your understanding with a brief quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ISC Biology: Study Guide & Syllabus course
- Microscopes Basics & Techniques
- Classification & Diversity of Life
- Kingdom Monera, Protista & Fungi
- Classification in the Animal Kingdom
- Overview of Vertebrates
- Classification in the Plant Kingdom
- Plant Physiology: Growth & Nutrition
- Plant Tissue: Structure & Function
- Absorption & Movement of Water in Plants
- Plant Morphology
- Reproduction of Flowering Plants
- Mechanisms of Photosynthesis
- Mechanisms of Cellular Respiration
- Cell Structure Overview
- Cell Membrane Basics
- DNA Basics
- Recombinant DNA & Its Applications
- Overview of Basic Genetic Principles
- Chromosomes & Genetics
- The Cell Cycle, Mitosis & Meiosis
- Overview of Biomolecules
- Enzyme Mechanisms
- Animal Tissue: Structure & Function
- Nutrition & the Digestive System
- Human Respiratory System Overview
- Basics of the Circulatory System
- Excretory System Overview
- Endocrine System Overview
- Basics of the Nervous System
- The Musculoskeletal System
- Human Reproduction & Development Basics
- Human Disease & Defense
- Origin & Evolution of Life
- Overview of Ecosystems
- Community Ecology Overview
- Overview of Biodiversity
- Biological Applications in Agriculture
- ISC Biology Flashcards