About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify which concepts are covered on your environmental concerns homework.
- Find videos on those topics within this chapter.
- Watch fun videos, pausing and reviewing as needed.
- Complete sample problems and get instant feedback.
- Finish your environmental concerns homework with ease!
Topics from your homework you'll be able to complete:
- Physical, chemical and biological pollution
- Air pollution sources and types
- Effect of global warming on climate
- Importance of the ozone layer
- Types of water pollution
- Environmental problems associated with groundwater
- Water treatment methods
- Legislation for clean water
1. Pollution: Physical, Chemical & Biological
Pollution is the existence of unwanted and harmful substances in the environment. Learn more about different types of pollution (including physical, chemical, and biological) and how they can negatively affect the environment.
2. What Is Air Pollution? - Definition, Sources & Types
Air pollution is a mixture of harmful particles and gases in the atmosphere. Learn the definition of air pollution, discover its sources, and explore the different types of air pollutants that exist.
3. Global Warming: Atmospheric Causes and Effect on Climate
Global warming is a multifaceted and complex issue that involves both natural and human causes that increase the number of greenhouse gases. Learn how the atmospheric temperature can increase leading to global warming, explore some of its causes and how it affects climate change, and discover the role of the greenhouse effect on global warming.
4. The Ozone Layer: Importance and the Harmful Effects of Thinning
The ozone layer of the Earth absorbs the ultraviolet radiation coming from the Sun. Learn about the importance of ozone, discover how CFCs break down the ozone, explore the early discoveries about harmful effects of CFCs and the thinning of the ozone layer, and determine policies in place to protect the ozone.
5. Water Pollution: Definition, Types, and Sources
Water is arguably our most precious resource; however, water pollution can have detrimental effects on the health and welfare of people throughout the world. Learn what water pollution is and its sources, and distinguish between surface and groundwater pollution.
6. Environmental Problems Associated With Groundwater
Groundwater is our largest natural source of freshwater, but several environmental problems threaten the underground aquifers that contain it. Explore how groundwater is vulnerable to issues like pollution, overdrawing, and subsidence, and discover how these problems impact the planet's water supply.
7. Water Treatment: Improving Water Quality
Water treatment is the process of removing harmful substances from water to make it suitable for use. Explore how water quality is improved, the process of water purification, how wastewater is treated, and the quality of drinking water in developing countries.
8. The Clean Water Act & Safe Drinking Water Act: Legislation for Clean Water
In the early 1970s, the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) passed the Clean Water Act and Safe Drinking Water Act to regulate water pollution and increase the standards for safe drinking water. Learn about legislation for clean water and how increased regulations provide safe water for Americans.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the Middle School Life Science: Homework Help Resource course
- Introduction to Life Science: Homework Help
- Characteristics & Chemicals of Life: Homework Help
- The Parts of Cells: Homework Help
- DNA Replication & Mutation: Homework Help
- Cell Division & the Cell Cycle: Homework Help
- How Living Organisms Get Energy: Homework Help
- Classification of Organisms: Homework Help
- The Origin & History of Life On Earth: Homework Help
- Genetics & Hereditary Traits: Homework Help
- Genetic Engineering Basics: Homework Help
- Natural Selection & Evolution in Life Science: Homework Help
- Microbiology & Types of Microbes: Homework Help
- Introduction to Ecosystems: Homework Help
- Types of Ecosystems: Homework Help
- Changing Ecosystems: Homework Help
- Invertebrates: Homework Help
- Animal Behavior & Communication: Homework Help
- Mammal Reproduction & Development: Homework Help
- The Cardiovascular System: Homework Help
- The Blood Vessels: Homework Help
- The Digestive System: Homework Help
- The Urinary & Endocrine Systems: Homework Help
- The Muscular System: Homework Help
- The Skeletal System & Connective Tissue: Homework Help
- Sight, Hearing & Other Senses: Homework Help
- Health Issues & Concerns: Homework Help
- Plant Biology & Structure: Homework Help
- How Plants Grow & Reproduce: Homework Help
- Natural Resources: Homework Help