About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other life science work.
- Identify the environmental concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our Middle School Life Science Tutoring Solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about environmental concerns and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding global warming, the ozone layer, pollution or any other environmental concerns topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their science learning
- Prefer learning about science visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their environmental concerns unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in middle school life science
- Don't have access to their science teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about environmental concerns simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live science tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about environmental concerns on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Describe the different kinds of pollution.
- Identify sources and types of air pollution.
- Discuss the causes and effects of global warming.
- Understand the significance of the ozone layer.
- Study the causes of surface and ground water pollution.
- Learn about the environmental concerns that are associated with ground water.
- Discover some techniques that are used to improve the quality of water.
- Explain the Clean Water Act and the Safe Drinking Water Act.
1. Pollution: Physical, Chemical & Biological
Pollution is the presence of unwanted substances in an environment. It is often the result of human interference. Learn about physical, chemical and biological pollutants and see examples of each.
2. What Is Air Pollution? - Definition, Sources & Types
In this video lesson, you will learn about the sources and types of air pollution. You will be able to identify the six classes of air pollutants identified by the Environmental Protection Agency and the Clean Air Act of 1970.
3. Global Warming: Atmospheric Causes and Effect on Climate
Global warming is a multifaceted, complex issue. It involves both natural and human causes that can increase the amount of greenhouse gases. This lesson looks at some of the facts about global warming and how they could contribute to climate change.
4. The Ozone Layer: Importance and the Harmful Effects of Thinning
In this lesson, you will learn the importance of the ozone layer and how it is depleted. You will also study the research and policy that has been instrumental in its recovery.
5. Water Pollution: Definition, Types, and Sources
In this lesson, you will learn about the different types and sources of water pollution. You will gain an understanding of both surface water and groundwater pollution and the similarities and differences between them.
6. Environmental Problems Associated With Groundwater
Groundwater is an important natural resource, but like many of our other resources, it's affected by the surrounding environment and human activities. In this video lesson, you'll learn about some of the environmental problems associated with groundwater and why groundwater is especially vulnerable to them.
7. Water Treatment: Improving Water Quality
In this lesson, you will learn how water is purified for drinking, and how wastewater is treated before being put back into the environment. You will also learn about water purification issues in developing countries.
8. The Clean Water Act & Safe Drinking Water Act: Legislation for Clean Water
In this lesson, you will learn about the Clean Water Act of 1972 and the Safe Drinking Water Act of 1974. You'll discover how both laws help keep our waters free of pollution and safe for everyday use.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Middle School Life Science: Tutoring Solution course
- Introduction to Life Science: Tutoring Solution
- Characteristics & Chemicals of Life: Tutoring Solution
- The Parts of Cells: Tutoring Solution
- DNA Replication & Mutation: Tutoring Solution
- Cell Division & the Cell Cycle: Tutoring Solution
- How Living Organisms Get Energy: Tutoring Solution
- Classification of Organisms: Tutoring Solution
- The Origin & History of Life On Earth: Tutoring Solution
- Genetics & Hereditary Traits: Tutoring Solution
- Genetic Engineering Basics: Tutoring Solution
- Natural Selection & Evolution in Life Science: Tutoring Solution
- Microbiology & Types of Microbes: Tutoring Solution
- Introduction to Ecosystems: Tutoring Solution
- Types of Ecosystems: Tutoring Solution
- Changing Ecosystems: Tutoring Solution
- Invertebrates: Tutoring Solution
- Animal Behavior & Communication: Tutoring Solution
- Mammal Reproduction & Development: Tutoring Solution
- The Cardiovascular System: Tutoring Solution
- The Blood Vessels: Tutoring Solution
- The Digestive System: Tutoring Solution
- The Urinary & Endocrine Systems: Tutoring Solution
- The Muscular System: Tutoring Solution
- The Skeletal System & Connective Tissue: Tutoring Solution
- Sight, Hearing & Other Senses: Tutoring Solution
- Health Issues & Concerns: Tutoring Solution
- Plant Biology & Structure: Tutoring Solution
- How Plants Grow & Reproduce: Tutoring Solution
- Natural Resources: Tutoring Solution