About This Chapter
Environmental Ethics - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
As human beings have progressed on this planet we have developed specific responsibilities in regards to how we act in our relationship to the environment. This chapter explores a variety of subjects dealing with the human code of environmental ethics. Take short end-of-lesson quizzes to determine how well you understand the material and feel free to contact a knowledgeable instructor with any questions. These lessons cover subjects including:
- Life-centered vs. human-centered ethics
- Different forms of pollution
- Energy consumption among nations
- Global warming
- Actions protecting the environment
|Environmental Ethics & Human Values: Definition & Impact on Environmental Problems||Take a look at how human values support environmental ethics.|
|What is Environmental Legislation? - Laws, Regulations & Timeline||Discover the legal protections in place to preserve the environment.|
|Fossil Fuels, Greenhouse Gases, and Global Warming||Learn about the effect emissions have on the environment.|
|The Ozone Layer: Importance and the Harmful Effects of Thinning||Examine the significance of the ozone layer.|
|What Is Air Pollution? - Definition, Sources & Types||Study the effects of air pollution.|
|Energy Consumption of The World: The Differences in Consumption Between Developing and Developed Nations||Compare the use of energy by different nations.|
|The Endangered Species Act & The World Conservation Strategy: Goals & Purposes||Examine methods and groups designed to protect the environment.|
|Poverty, Carrying Capacity, Population Growth & Sustainability||See how various population factors affect the planet.|
|Comparing Life-Centered & Human-Centered Environmental Ethics||Discover different approaches to environmental ethics.|
1. Environmental Ethics & Human Values: Definition & Impact on Environmental Problems
Environmental ethics take into consideration the moral obligations human beings have concerning the environment. Learn how environmental ethics and human values affect our ability to understand and solve environmental problems.
2. Comparing Life-Centered & Human-Centered Environmental Ethics
The moral relationship between humans and the environment is an important one. In this lesson, explore two of the main beliefs in this field, and test your understanding with a brief quiz.
3. What is Environmental Legislation? - Laws, Regulations & Timeline
Environmental legislation is a collection of many laws and regulations aimed at protecting the environment from harmful actions. Learn about the National Environmental Policy Act and other environmental laws.
4. Fossil Fuels, Greenhouse Gases, and Global Warming
In this video lesson, you'll learn what roles fossil fuels and greenhouse gases play in global warming, as well as what life on Earth can expect due to rising carbon dioxide levels within Earth's atmosphere.
5. The Ozone Layer: Importance and the Harmful Effects of Thinning
In this lesson, you will learn the importance of the ozone layer and how it is depleted. You will also study the research and policy that has been instrumental in its recovery.
6. What Is Air Pollution? - Definition, Sources & Types
In this video lesson, you will learn about the sources and types of air pollution. You will be able to identify the six classes of air pollutants identified by the Environmental Protection Agency and the Clean Air Act of 1970.
7. The Endangered Species Act & The World Conservation Strategy: Goals & Purposes
In this lesson, you will learn about the Endangered Species Act, an environmental law that protects endangered species. You will also discover how the ESA works and how species are protected under it. Finally, you will learn how a World Conservation Strategy can help endangered and threatened species worldwide.
8. Energy Consumption of The World: The Differences in Consumption Between Developing and Developed Nations
Energy consumption is greater in developed nations than in developing nations. However, as the economy of a developing nation improves, the global energy consumption increases. Learn more about the differences in energy consumption around the world.
9. Poverty, Carrying Capacity, Population Growth & Sustainability
Worldwide poverty is a large issue. In this lesson, we will explore how poverty influences population growth rates and how these things relate to carrying capacity and global sustainability.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Introduction to Humanities: Help and Review course
- Literary Terms & Techniques: Help and Review
- Literary Time Periods: Help and Review
- Literature of the Middle Ages: Help and Review
- The English Renaissance: Help and Review
- Literature of the Victorian Era: Help and Review
- British Romanticism: Help and Review
- British Literature of the 20th Century: Help and Review
- Literary Modernism: Help and Review
- Romantic Poetry: Help and Review
- World Literature - Drama: Help and Review
- Poetry of the Ancient and Modern Worlds: Help and Review
- Prominent American Novelists: Help and Review
- Philosophy and Nonfiction: Help and Review
- History of Visual Art: Help and Review
- History of Architecture: Help and Review
- Basic Elements of Music: Help and Review
- Overview of Opera and Orchestral Music: Help and Review
- Intro to Medieval Music: Help and Review
- Intro to Renaissance Music: Help and Review
- Intro to the Baroque Period in Music: Help and Review
- Music's Classical Period: Help and Review
- Music's Romantic Period: Help and Review
- Music of the Modern Era: Help and Review
- Overview of Jazz Music: Help and Review
- Intro to Musical Theater and Popular Music: Help and Review
- Intro to World Music: Help and Review
- Introduction to the Performing Arts: Help and Review
- Introduction to Morality
- Moral Belief Systems
- Ancient Greek Views on Ethics
- Theories of Natural & Moral Law
- Consequentialist & Non-Consequentialist Philosophies
- Morality Within Western Religion
- Issues of Morality in Life & Death
- Moral Issues in Economic Equality & Poverty
- Philosophical Theory & the Justice System
- Moral Issues in Peacetime & War
- Human Rights Ethics
- Moral Issues in Relationships & Sexuality
- Biomedical Ethics
- Morality in Business