About This Chapter
Environmental Health Basics - Chapter Summary
Our surroundings have as much of an impact on our health as what we eat and how we treat our bodies through physical fitness and activities. The lessons in this chapter will help you to better understand environmental health threats and disease-causing agents found in the environment. Watch short, engaging videos and answer self-assessment questions to get the most out of these lessons. When you're done, you will have learned about:
- The four types of environmental hazards
- Assessments of environmental health risks
- What epidemiology and toxicology mean
- Types of disease-causing agents, such as bacteria and viruses
- The susceptibility of children to environmental toxicants
1. What Is Environmental Health? Definition, Types & Sources
In this video lesson, you will learn about environmental health. You will also learn about threats to environmental health and how to distinguish between different categories of environmental hazards.
2. Understanding & Assessing Threats to Environmental Health
In this lesson you will learn how threats to environmental health are assessed. You will also learn how management decisions are made based on such threats and their risks.
3. Environmental Toxicants: Types, Sources & Effects
In this video lesson, you will identify different types of environmental toxicants. You will also learn about the harmful effects of these toxicants and how they travel from various sources.
4. Disease-Causing Agents in the Environment: Definition and Types
In this video lesson, you will identify different disease-causing agents. You will also explore examples of types of disease-causing agents and their effects on human health.
5. Toxicants and Children: Why Children Are More Susceptible
Despite their small size, children are more susceptible to environmental toxicants. In this video lesson, you will learn why toxicants often have greater effects on children than adults.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Health 101: Principles of Health course
- Health and Wellness Fundamentals
- Psychosocial Disorders & Mental Health
- Stress Risks & Disorders
- Drugs & Addictive Behavior
- Impact of Alcohol & Tobacco on Health
- Substance Use Risks & Disorders
- Healthy Platonic & Sexual Relationships
- Understanding Nutrition in Health
- Fitness & Weight in Personal Health
- Personal Health for Aging Populations
- Understanding Death & Bereavement
- Heart, Lung & Endocrine System Health
- Understanding Cancer Risks & Treatment
- Immune Disorders & Infections
- Understanding Diabetes & Genetic Disorders
- Pollution & Environmental Issues
- Violence, Injury & Personal Safety
- Making Smart Health Care Choices
- Studying for Health 101