About This Chapter
Environmental Health & Protection - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, our professional instructors lead video lessons on environmental health and protection you can watch at your convenience. A few of the topics covered in this chapter are threats to environmental health, environmental toxicants and global environmental issues. This chapter has been designed to assist you in achieving these objectives:
- Define environmental health and share its different types and sources
- Understand and assess threats to environmental health
- Identify the sources and effects of environmental toxicants
- Outline the types of disease-causing agents in the environment
- Discuss the treaties that impact global environmental issues
- Detail the role of individuals in protecting the environment
- Define the three Rs of reducing solid waste
- Differentiate between energy conservation and energy efficiency
Along with each video lesson, we've included a short, multiple-choice quiz to help you assess yourself and your knowledge before you move on. Assistance from one of our experts is available in the Dashboard if any questions come up along the way. If you need to go back and review just one portion of a video lesson over again, use the video tabs found in the Timeline.
1. What Is Environmental Health? Definition, Types & Sources
In this video lesson, you will learn about environmental health. You will also learn about threats to environmental health and how to distinguish between different categories of environmental hazards.
2. Understanding & Assessing Threats to Environmental Health
In this lesson you will learn how threats to environmental health are assessed. You will also learn how management decisions are made based on such threats and their risks.
3. Environmental Toxicants: Types, Sources & Effects
In this video lesson, you will identify different types of environmental toxicants. You will also learn about the harmful effects of these toxicants and how they travel from various sources.
4. Disease-Causing Agents in the Environment: Definition and Types
In this video lesson, you will identify different disease-causing agents. You will also explore examples of types of disease-causing agents and their effects on human health.
5. Global Environmental Issues: Types & Treaties
The following lesson defines and then discusses examples of global environmental issues, such as global climate change and pollution. A short quiz will follow the lesson to check your understanding.
6. The Role of Individuals in Protecting the Environment
This lesson discusses what individuals can do to help protect the environment. Learn how you can take action in little ways and make a difference by engaging in political activism. Take a quiz to see if you're ready to do your part.
7. The 3 Rs of Reducing Solid Waste: Reuse, Reduce & Recycle
Reduce, reuse, recycle! In this lesson, we will explore the three Rs of reducing solid waste. We will also investigate examples of each of the three Rs, and how people can do their part to help reduce solid waste.
8. Energy Conservation and Energy Efficiency: Examples and Differences
Saving energy is an important topic, but energy conservation and energy efficiency are not the same thing. Learn what the difference is and some examples of both energy conservation and energy efficiency.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NYSTCE Health Education (073): Practice and Study Guide course
- Human Growth & Development
- Childhood Growth & Development
- Adolescence Growth & Development
- Adult Growth & Development
- Pregnancy, Prenatal Care & Childbirth
- Introduction to Health & Wellness
- Introduction to Disease & Illness
- Mental Distress, Depression & Suicide
- Basic Principles of Nutrition
- Carbohydrates in Nutrition
- Lipids in Nutrition
- Protein in Nutrition
- Water as a Nutrient
- Minerals & Nutrition
- Vitamins in Nutrition
- Eating Disorders & Treatments
- Benefits of Physical Fitness
- Health Risk Education
- Injury Prevention Strategies
- Substance Use & Abuse
- Human Sexuality & Health
- Communication Processes & Skills
- Family & Social Systems
- Discrimination, Aggression & Conflict
- Media & Advertising of Health Information
- Resources for Health Information
- Health Care Systems
- Governmental Health Regulations
- Understanding Health Education Programs
- Education Strategies & Methods
- Assessments in Health Education Programs
- NYSTCE Health Education Flashcards