About This Chapter
Environmental Implications of Population Growth - Chapter Summary
Major environmental concerns due to an expanding population, such as those involving food supply and energy, are looked at in this chapter. Differences in major environmental worldviews are also included for you to refresh your memory. In addition, this chapter has the following for you to go over:
- How environmental ethics along with human values impact environmental problems
- The economic significance of natural capital
- Using the scientific method for environmental problems
You can watch the video lessons in this chapter at a time that suits your schedule, using a computer or a mobile device. A video lesson lasts for approximately 5 minutes. You can quickly measure your understanding of each lesson as you go by completing a short practice quiz.
1. Environmental Ethics & Human Values: Definition & Impact on Environmental Problems
Environmental ethics take into consideration the moral obligations human beings have concerning the environment. Learn how environmental ethics and human values affect our ability to understand and solve environmental problems.
2. Environmental Worldviews: Western & Deep Ecology
Environmental worldviews are the commonly shared beliefs that give groups of people a sense how humans should interact with the environment. Learn about two contrasting environmental worldviews: western and deep ecology.
3. Economics, Natural Capital & the Environment
Natural capital is the resources and services derived from nature that are of value to people. Learn why protecting natural capital is important for sustainable growth and economic development.
4. Future Environmental Concerns: Population, Food Supply, Energy & Pollution
There are many issues that raise future environmental concerns. Learn how the environment may be impacted by the growing population and food and energy needs of the world, as well as growing pollution concerns as we move through the 21st century.
5. Scientific Evaluation of Environmental Problems: Process and Steps
This lesson will explore how the process of scientific evaluation is used to solve environmental problems. We will also investigate the steps involved in the scientific evaluation of environmental problems and how they all work together to solve an important issue.
6. The Scientific Method Applied to Environmental Problems: Definition, Steps and Applications
In this lesson we will investigate the steps involved in the scientific method. We will also explore how the scientific method is used to solve environmental problems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Introduction to Environmental Science: Help and Review course
- Environmental Science Basics: Help and Review
- Ecosystems: Help and Review
- Interaction Among Organisms in the Ecosystem: Help and Review
- Evolving Ecosystems: Help and Review
- Atmospheric Science and the Environment: Help and Review
- Geological Science: Help and Review
- Biological Science: Help and Review
- Pollution of Freshwater Resources: Help and Review
- Bioremediation: Help and Review
- Land Resources: Help and Review
- Population and the Environment: Help and Review
- Food and Agricultural Resources: Help and Review
- Solid and Hazardous Waste: Help and Review
- Human Impact on the Environment: Help and Review
- Renewable Resources: Help and Review
- Nonrenewable Resources: Help and Review
- Environmental Sustainability: Help and Review
- Environmental Risk Analysis: Help and Review
- Ethical and Political Processes of the Environment: Help and Review