About This Chapter
Environmental Pollution & Health Concerns - Chapter Summary
No one wants to struggle through their review sessions, and this chapter will help you make sure you don't have to! Here, you can take 5-10 minutes at a time and watch video lessons about important topics including pollution, water management and sustainable use, and much more! Assess what you recall from the lessons by taking our brief quizzes. Other content covered in this chapter includes:
- Definition of air pollution, hazardous waste, and water pollution
- Greenhouse gasses and the green house effect
- Significance of the ozone layer
- Differences between municipal and non-municipal solid waste
- Overview of the reuse, reduce, and recycle processes
- Role of water management in sustainable use
- Processes of water treatments to increase quality
- Environmental concerns into the future
Check the transcripts that accompany each video for keywords and information about our knowledgeable instructors. Quiz yourself on the go by printing out the worksheets and answers. Use the Help tab to send your questions about the chapter straight to the instructor.
1. Pollution: Physical, Chemical & Biological
Pollution is the presence of unwanted substances in an environment. It is often the result of human interference. Learn about physical, chemical and biological pollutants and see examples of each.
2. What Is Air Pollution? - Definition, Sources & Types
In this video lesson, you will learn about the sources and types of air pollution. You will be able to identify the six classes of air pollutants identified by the Environmental Protection Agency and the Clean Air Act of 1970.
3. Greenhouse Gases and the Enhanced Greenhouse Effect
In this video lesson, you will learn about the five main greenhouse gases and how their unnaturally high concentrations are leading to the enhanced greenhouse effect and global climate change on Earth.
4. The Ozone Layer: Importance and the Harmful Effects of Thinning
In this lesson, you will learn the importance of the ozone layer and how it is depleted. You will also study the research and policy that has been instrumental in its recovery.
5. Types of Solid Waste: Municipal Vs. Non-Municipal
Waste comes in many different forms. This lesson explores municipal and non-municipal waste, the two main types of solid waste. We'll also delve into who creates waste and the amount of waste disposed of each year.
6. What Is Hazardous Waste? - Definition and Types
Not all waste is something to throw in the trash and forget about. In this lesson, we will explore hazardous waste and what makes it dangerous. We will also investigate disposal methods and types of hazardous waste.
7. The 3 Rs of Reducing Solid Waste: Reuse, Reduce & Recycle
Reduce, reuse, recycle! In this lesson, we will explore the three Rs of reducing solid waste. We will also investigate examples of each of the three Rs, and how people can do their part to help reduce solid waste.
8. Water Conservation: How Water Management Can Lead to Sustainable Use
In this video lesson you will learn about the importance of water conservation. You will also learn about the two ways freshwater is used, and how proper water use can lead to sustainability in agriculture, homes, and manufacturing.
9. Water Pollution: Definition, Types, and Sources
In this lesson, you will learn about the different types and sources of water pollution. You will gain an understanding of both surface water and groundwater pollution and the similarities and differences between them.
10. Water Treatment: Improving Water Quality
In this lesson, you will learn how water is purified for drinking, and how wastewater is treated before being put back into the environment. You will also learn about water purification issues in developing countries.
11. Future Environmental Concerns: Population, Food Supply, Energy & Pollution
There are many issues that raise future environmental concerns. Learn how the environment may be impacted by the growing population and food and energy needs of the world, as well as growing pollution concerns as we move through the 21st century.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PLACE Health: Practice & Study Guide course
- Human Growth & Development
- Infant Growth & Development
- Childhood Growth & Development
- Adolescence Growth & Development
- Growth & Development in Adulthood
- Human Reproduction, Pregnancy & Birth
- Mendelian Genetics & Mechanisms of Heredity
- Health of the Aging Population
- Dying and Bereavement in Older Adults
- Understanding the Disease Process
- Pathogens & the Immune System
- Nutritional Health & Diet Planning
- Carbohydrates in Nutrition
- Lipids in Nutrition
- Protein's Role in Nutrition
- Water as a Nutrient
- Minerals in Nutrition
- Symptoms of Mineral Deficiency & Toxicity
- How Vitamins Support Nutrition
- Eating Disorders & Treatments
- Weight Management & Energy Needs
- Understanding Dental Health
- Physical Fitness & Nutrition
- Effects of Sleep on Health
- Health & Wellness Basics
- Emotional and Mental Health
- Making Health Decisions
- Addictive Behaviors and Drug Use
- Alcohol & Tobacco Use and Personal Health
- Drugs & Substance Use Disorders
- Family Systems & Healthy Behavior
- Contraception and Family Planning
- Managing Family & Peer Relationships
- Sexuality & Health
- Media & Advertising of Health Information
- Community & Public Health
- Child Abuse & Abduction
- Sexual Harassment & Violence
- Environmental Risk Analysis
- Personal Safety Precautions
- PLACE Health Flashcards