About This Chapter
Environmental Science Basics - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter provide an overview of environmental science basics. You'll find an informative discussion of topics such as environmental conservation and evaluating environmental problems. After completing the chapter, you should be prepared to:
- Define environmental science and understand the scope of the field
- Discuss movements and the timeline of U.S. environmental history
- Understand environmental conservation and preservation
- Conduct a scientific evaluation of environmental problems
- Describe the scientific method applied to environmental problems
These video lessons are brief and engaging, which helps you to easily understand the information presented. Our expert instructors use an informative teaching style and provide useful examples. The video timelines help you navigate the videos and focus on topics that are of greatest interest to you. Once you have completed each lesson, you can take a short multiple-choice quiz to test your knowledge.
1. What is Environmental Science? - Definition and Scope of the Field
This lesson will explore the exciting and broad field of environmental science. You will learn what environmental science is and also discover what disciplines it incorporates. Also, the importance of environmental science will be explained.
2. U.S. Environmental History: Movements & Timeline
Have you ever heard of John Muir? Have you ever been to a National Park and wondered why it was preserved for future generations to enjoy? This lesson will discuss the major environmental movements in the United States since the 19th century, including the events that occurred, the people involved and the legislation which developed.
3. Environmental Conservation and Preservation: Definition, Differences & Advocates
This lesson will explain two views on how land can be managed and discuss famous supporters of each view. We will also explore examples of situations where the views are opposing each other and when they can be combined for the common good.
4. Scientific Evaluation of Environmental Problems: Process and Steps
This lesson will explore how the process of scientific evaluation is used to solve environmental problems. We will also investigate the steps involved in the scientific evaluation of environmental problems and how they all work together to solve an important issue.
5. The Scientific Method Applied to Environmental Problems: Definition, Steps and Applications
In this lesson we will investigate the steps involved in the scientific method. We will also explore how the scientific method is used to solve environmental problems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP Environmental Science: Exam Prep course
- Time & Dating in Geology
- The Lithosphere
- Understanding Earthquakes
- The Atmosphere and the Environment
- Weather and Storms
- Water Balance
- Flowing Water
- Ground Water Systems
- Oceanic Systems & Characteristics
- Life Cycle of Glaciers
- Water Issues & Conservation
- Minerals, Rocks & Soil
- Interaction Among Organisms in the Ecosystem
- Evolving Ecosystems
- Changing Ecosystems
- Population and the Environment
- Food and Agricultural Resources
- Forestry, Rangelands & Other Land Use
- Mining & Fishing
- Energy Concepts
- Renewable Energy Resources
- Nonrenewable Energy Sources
- Waste Management
- Effects of Humans on the Environment
- Sustaining the Environment
- Environmental Risk Analysis
- Global Environmental Economics
- Environmental Ethics & Politics