About This Chapter
Environmental Science Overview - Chapter Summary
For a high-level overview of the environmental science field, work through this collection of informative and engaging science lessons. Our expert environmental science instructors will show you how pollution, human populations and energy consumption have affected the environment and how environmental sustainability aims to improve the environment for future generations. After studying this chapter, you should be able to:
- Evaluate the field of environmental science
- Understand how humans contribute to the endangerment and extinction of species
- Identify different types of pollution
- Determine how population size effects the consumption of natural resources
- Recognize the differences in energy consumption between developed and developing countries
- Assess the application of environmental sustainability
Following each lesson is a short quiz to help check your understanding of the environmental science terms and concepts you've studied. If you need any extra help, feel free to submit questions to our instructors. The chapter can be accessed at any time of day or night, which allows you to study whenever you have free time.
1. What Is Environmental Studies? - Definition & Topics
Explore the basics of environmental studies and the unique interdisciplinary methods used to address the most challenging environmental issues. This segment will give you a brief overview of types of problems and the solutions examined within environmental studies.
2. Pollution and Habitat Destruction: The Human Factors Contributing To Endangerment & Extinction
In this lesson you will learn about two ways humans contribute to species extinction. We break up habitats by building roads and clearing land, and we pollute both land and water. You will also learn about the specific terms used to describe the processes, habitat fragmentation and anthropogenic pollution.
3. Pollution: Physical, Chemical & Biological
Pollution is the presence of unwanted substances in an environment. It is often the result of human interference. Learn about physical, chemical and biological pollutants and see examples of each.
4. Population Size: Impacts on Resource Consumption
What are the things you need to survive? Humans all need resources, and in this lesson, we will discuss how the growth of the human population is influencing the natural resources we rely on.
5. Energy Consumption of The World: The Differences in Consumption Between Developing and Developed Nations
Energy consumption is greater in developed nations than in developing nations. However, as the economy of a developing nation improves, the global energy consumption increases. Learn more about the differences in energy consumption around the world.
6. What is Energy Conservation? - Definition, Process & Examples
This lesson will explain what the conservation of energy principle is and why it matters, using some real-life examples of how it works in our day-to-day lives. A short quiz will follow.
7. Environmental Sustainability: Definition and Application
Environmental sustainability allows for the needs of man to be met without jeopardizing the ability of future generations to meet their needs. Learn applications of environmental sustainability, including sustainable agriculture, forestry and energy.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ICSE Environmental Science: Study Guide & Syllabus course
- Living Things in Ecosystems
- Ecosystem Cycles & Processes
- Kinds of Ecosystems
- Water Resources & Pollution
- Atmosphere, Climate & Air Pollution
- Soil & Land Pollution & Conservation
- Population Growth & Its Impact on Poverty
- Sustainable Agriculture
- Conservation Biology & Protecting Biodiversity
- Energy Use
- Overview of Waste & Waste Management
- Business, Trade & The Environment
- Global Sustainability Efforts
- ICSE Environmental Science Flashcards