About This Chapter
Epic & Myth Explanations & Exemplars - Chapter Summary
This chapter focuses on the use of myths and epic poetry, including the elements of these writing styles and examples of famous works. Teachers who are looking for added resources for students should consider the benefits of this chapter. First of all, this chapter and all of the study materials on this site are available online, giving students 24/7 access. Second, the user dashboard helps to organize students, keeping all of their study information in one safe place. Third, the video lessons, flashcards, lesson quizzes, and other tools provide an interactive component that can reach a wide variety of learners. By completing this chapter, students gain the skills to do the following:
- Establish what epic poetry is
- Outline the Greek epic The Odyssey
- Evaluate whether Odysseus can be considered a hero
- Figure out themes within The Odyssey
- Relate key quotes from The Odyssey
- Describe different types of myths
- Analyze the myth of Perseus and Medusa
1. Epic Poetry: Definition, Heroes & Stories
Learn about epic poetry in the ancient world. Explore two epic poems, ''Gilgamesh'' and ''The Iliad'' and discover the information these poems contain about the cultures that created them.
2. The Odyssey: Greek Epic
This lecture provides a rough outline of the exploits of Odysseus in Homer's epic poem ''The Odyssey''. You'll learn plot details about this epic poem, in addition to hearing about how this important tale relates to Greek culture and literary works throughout history.
3. Is Odysseus a Hero? - Character Analysis
A hero can be defined in many ways, but in Greek antiquity, a hero embodied qualities that reflected Greek culture. In this lesson, we will define the term hero and determine whether Odysseus fits the description.
4. Themes of The Odyssey
'The Odyssey' tells the story of Odysseus as he tries to get home after the Trojan War has ended. In this lesson, learn about the themes of this famous Greek work.
5. Important Quotes from The Odyssey
In the Odyssey by Homer, we're thrown headfirst into Odysseus's trials as he tries desperately to make his way back to his beloved wife, Penelope. We'll look at the concept of fate and justice and the important role each plays in the Odyssey.
6. What Are Myths? - Definition, Types & Examples
Lots of us read or even studied the Greek, Roman, and Egyptian gods in grade school or middle school. Just about every culture has its own myths, stories about gods and their magical deeds. In this lesson, we'll take a look at the defining characteristics of myths, as well as some examples.
7. Greek Myth of Perseus and Medusa: Summary & Overview
Explore the tale of young hero, Perseus, who sets out to defeat the terrifying Medusa, who could turn any man into stone. Learn about the birth and adventures of this famous hero and the lessons learned from the stories that surround him.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 9th Grade English: High School course
- 9th Grade English: Reading Skills
- 9th Grade English: Literary Text Analysis
- 9th Grade English: Literary Terms & Devices
- Short Stories: Cask of Amontillado, Most Dangerous Game, Scarlet Ibis
- Novel Exemplars: Night & Animal Farm
- Drama: To Kill a Mockingbird & Romeo and Juliet
- Poetry: Hope is the Thing with Feathers, The Raven & In Just
- Nonfiction Texts: Gettysburg Address & Washington's Farewell
- High School English: Media & Art Analysis
- 9th Grade English: Word Choice & Tone
- 9th Grade English: Argumentative Reading & Writing
- 9th Grade English: Informative & Technical Writing
- 9th Grade English: Narrative Writing
- 9th Grade English: The Writing Process
- 9th Grade English: Research Skills
- 9th Grade English: Speaking & Listening Skills