About This Chapter
Equations & Inequalities in Algebra Lesson Plans - Chapter Summary
Developing curriculum that includes equations and inequalities in algebra has never been easier thanks to the teacher resources in this chapter. Explore informative lesson plans designed to enhance your classroom instruction and simplify the curriculum planning process. Included in this chapter are the following:
- Algebraic expressions, inequalities, compound inequalities and linear inequalities lesson plans
- Lessons examining common algebraic equations and how to show relationships as algebraic expressions
- Games and activities for systems of equations
- Lesson covering how to teach systems of equations
- Lesson plan exploring how to solve one-step equations
- Activities and games for two-step equations
- Lessons examining how to solve inequalities, 'and'/'or' compound inequalities and one- and two-step linear inequalities
All lessons and lesson plans in this chapter are accessible 24/7 via any computer, smartphone or tablet. Review them in any order and as often as needed to strengthen the lesson planning process.
How It Helps
- Curriculum standards: Ensures your lessons align with algebra educational standards.
- Learning objectives: Helps you gauge what your students could learn as you complete the lesson planning process.
- Activities and games: Provides fun games and activities you can use to get your students excited about equations and inequalities.
How It Works
This helpful resource offers teachers lesson plan outlines with relevant tools to make planning equations and inequalities lessons easy.
- Find lesson plans for specific equations and inequalities topics you want to cover in class.
- Formulate your equations and inequalities class outline using the suggested classroom tools offered in the lesson plans.
- Share the related equations and inequalities lessons for each lesson plan with students in class to make learning fun and engaging.
- Use related lesson quizzes to ensure your students understand the most important equations and inequalities concepts from the lessons.
- Engage your students with relevant equations and inequalities-related activities, discussion questions or other materials found in the lesson plan outline.
1. Algebraic Expressions Lesson Plan
What is an algebraic expression and when are they useful? This lesson plan uses two fact-filled video lessons to explain this concept and to show different types of algebraic expressions. An activity gives students a chance to demonstrate mastery.
2. Expressing Relationships as Algebraic Expressions
What do you do when you don't know what a number is but you do know how it relates to something else? You use an algebraic expression. In this lesson, we'll learn how to express relationships as algebraic expressions.
3. Common Algebraic Equations: Linear, Quadratic, Polynomial, and More
Watch this video lesson to see the kinds of equations that you will come across most often in algebra. Learn to distinguish them by just looking for the identifying components of each equation.
4. Algebraic Expressions Games & Activities
Algebra can be a lot of fun if you make the effort to engage students. A way to do that is to play games and involve students in activities. Here are some ideas to get you started.
5. Simplifying Expressions Math Activities
Teaching students to simplify math expressions is an important part of helping students learn how to work and think algebraically. This lesson offers activities that will keep your students engaged while teaching them how to simplify expressions.
6. Teaching Systems of Equations
Systems of equations can be challenging for students because they involve applying a variety of problem-solving skills and strategies at once. This lesson gives you some ideas for teaching systems of equations to your students.
7. Solving Systems of Equations Games
Systems of equations take time and practice, and initially they can be very daunting. Anything we can do to lighten up the learning process is worthwhile. So, check out these fun systems of equations games you can try with your students.
8. Systems of Equations Activities
Systems of equations can be confusing for students, especially when they are abstract. Help your students understand them better with these fun systems of equations activities.
9. Solving One-Step Equations Lesson Plan
Solving one-step equations may sound simple, but for many students they're a challenge. Teach how words translate words into a math problem with clear steps and several examples. Finish up with an activity.
10. Defining, Translating, & Solving One-Step Equations
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can write a simple math equation when you are given a word problem. Learn how to translate words into math symbols. Learn the shortcuts to remember.
11. Two-Step Equations Games & Activities
Being good at solving math problems is all about practice, practice, practice! Students can learn and have fun while they practice solving two-step equations with these games and activities.
12. Inequalities Lesson Plan
Easy to read and understand, and full of examples and simple steps, this lesson plan will help you teach your students how to solve inequalities in a snap. Guided and independent work samples included, as well as a fun follow-up game.
13. Solving Inequalities Using Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication & Division
Solving inequalities is almost identical to solving equations. By using the inverse operation for the inequality, variables are quickly isolated to find solutions.
14. Compound Inequalities Lesson Plan
This lesson plan explores calculating and graphing compound inequalities. Students will watch a video, participate in discussion questions, calculate problems, complete an activity, and take a quiz.
15. How to Solve 'And' & 'Or' Compound Inequalities
In this lesson, we will learn the difference between a conjunction and a disjunction and how to solve and graph 'and' and 'or' inequalities on the number line.
16. Linear Inequalities Lesson Plan
This lesson plan introduces students to the concept of solving inequalities with two short videos, group work and partner work. Students will practice writing and solving linear inequalities then test their knowledge with brief quizzes.
17. Solving One-Step Linear Inequalities
In this video lesson, you will learn how you can solve any kind of linear inequality that only requires one step. Learn when you need to subtract, when you need to add, when you need to multiply, and when you need to divide.
18. Solving Two-Step Linear Inequalities
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to solve any kind of linear inequality problem where you only have to perform two steps. You will know in what order to perform each step and you will know just what kind of operation you need to do.
19. Teaching Graphing Inequalities on a Number Line
This lesson will cover methods for teaching students how to graph inequalities on a number line. It will offer basic instructions as well as ideas for assessment and differentiation to reach all learners.
20. Graphing Linear Inequalities Activities & Games
Graphing linear inequalities is important for students to visualize how inequalities work. Consider using these engaging, hands-on games and activities to help students learn about graphing linear inequalities.
21. Graphing Systems of Linear Inequalities Activities
When students are learning about inequalities, consider teaching them how to graph systems of linear inequalities. Use these activities to help students graph systems of linear inequalities and interpret the graphs.
22. Absolute Value Inequalities Activities
This lesson contains a few activity ideas that can help students learn about absolute value inequalities. Students will engage with absolute value inequalities in meaningful hands-on and minds-on ways.
23. Compound Inequalities Activities & Games
As your class is studying inequalities, it's important to thoroughly discuss compound inequalities. Consider using these activities and games to help students understand, solve, and graph compound inequalities.
24. Number Sentence Activities & Games
Learning how to read and solve number sentences is one of the first steps young mathematicians take toward algebra. This lesson offers activities and games that will make number sentences fun.
25. Linear Equations Lesson Plan for Middle School
This lesson plan introduces graphing a linear equation, and writing it from both a table and a graph. Students will use their bodies as points to graph a linear equation to find the slope and y-intercept.
26. One-Step Equations Activities & Games
Teaching students how to solve one-step equations is an essential skill necessary for solving more advanced mathematical calculations. Use these activities and games to help students understand how to solve one-step equations.
27. Inequalities Activities for High School
As a high school algebra teacher, you probably devote a significant portion of your curriculum to helping students work with inequalities. This lesson offers some activities that make inequalities more hands-on.
28. Rational Equation Activities
Working with rational equations is an important of high school algebra. This lesson offers activities that will make it more interesting for students to work with and resolve rational equations.
29. Linear Systems Activities
As a high school algebra, trigonometry, or calculus teacher, you might spend some time teaching your students about linear systems. This lesson offers some activities that will help you enliven your instruction.
30. Solving a Rational Equation Lesson Plan
This lesson will help your students learn how to solve rational equations. Students will watch a video lesson, measure their understanding with a short quiz, and collaborate with others to solve rational equations.
31. How to Solve a Rational Equation
A rational equation is one that contains fractions. Yes, we will be finding a common denominator that has 'x's. But no worries! Together we will use a process that will help us solve rational equations every time!
32. Simultaneous Equations Lesson Plan
This lesson plan helps teachers instruct students on the different methods for solving simultaneous equations. Students are presented with video instruction leading to an engaging game in which to practice the skills learned.
33. Two-Step Equations Lesson Plan
This lesson plan explores detailed steps to solve two-step equations. Students will read the lesson, calculate two-step equations and play a game to solidify their understanding.
34. Evaluating Algebraic Expressions Activities
Algebraic expressions are number sentences that combine numbers, variables, and operations. The activities in this asset provide practice fir evaluating algebraic expressions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Algebra Lesson Plans & Activities course