About This Chapter
'ER' and 'IR' Verbs in Spanish - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Boost your Spanish vocabulary and learn to conjugate various regular and novel verbs ending in 'er' and 'ir.' Instructors will show you how to speak in Spanish about everyday activities, such as eating and writing. You will learn the words for meals and foods as well as verbs related to them. You can practice using these new words in activities that focus on comprehension and vocabulary. Another lesson covers the Spanish personal 'a.' By the end of this chapter, you should know the following:
- Words for common foods and beverages, breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Important '-er' and '-ir' verbs
- How to conjugate regular and novel '-er' and '-ir' verbs in the present tense
- Using the personal 'a' in Spanish
|Spanish Food Vocabulary List||Study words for the foods and drinks appropriate to various meals.|
|Common '-Er' and '-Ir' Verbs in Spanish||Learn a set of common, regular '-er' and '-ir' verbs, including 'comer', 'beber' and 'escribir'.|
|Conjugation of Regular '-Er' Verbs in Spanish||Examine the present tense conjugations of regular '-er' verbs.|
|Spanish Grammar: Practice Conjugating Novel '-Er' Verbs||Practice conjugating novel '-er' verbs.|
|Present Tense Conjugation of Regular '-Ir' Verbs in Spanish||Find out about the present tense conjugations of regular '-ir' verbs.|
|Spanish Grammar: Practice Conjugating Novel '-Ir' Verbs||Discover how to conjugate novel '-ir' verbs.|
|The Personal 'A' in Spanish||Explains the concept of the personal 'a'.|
|Spanish Practice Activity: Using Common '-Er' and '-Ir' Verbs||Explore common '-er' and '-ir' verbs to describe what students, their families and friends do during the week.|
|Spanish Practice Activity: Evaluate Your Comprehension of '-Er' and '-Ir' Verbs||Listen to speakers describe what they eat to practice your comprehension of '-er' and '-ir' verbs.|
1. Spanish Food Vocabulary List
This video will introduce students to the names of the main meals of the day, as well as foods that one might eat for each meal. The vocabulary is presented through a conversation between friends.
2. Common -ER and -IR Verbs in Spanish
This video will introduce students to some common -er and -ir verbs in Spanish. All the verbs in this video are regular, and contain no orthographic or stem changes. Students will learn several new verbs and will have a brief opportunity to test their knowledge in the video.
3. Conjugation of Regular -ER Verbs in Spanish
This video will introduce students to the endings of regular -er verbs in the present tense. After the endings are introduced, students will see them as used with the verb 'comer,' 'to eat.'
4. Spanish Grammar: Practice Conjugating Novel -ER Verbs
This video will allow students to practice conjugating novel regular -er verbs. A quick review of the regular -er endings is followed by practice with several different regular -er verbs.
5. Present Tense Conjugation of Regular -IR Verbs in Spanish
This video will introduce you to the endings of regular -ir verbs in the present tense. After the endings are introduced, we'll practice with a common -ir verb.
6. Spanish Grammar: Practice Conjugating Novel -IR Verbs
This video allows students to practice conjugating novel -ir verbs. A brief review of regular -ir verb endings is followed by practice with several new regular -ir verbs.
7. The Personal A in Spanish
This video will introduce the grammar concept of the 'a' personal, or personal 'a,' in Spanish. Learn how it is used in sentences and the types of sentences in which it is not used. A brief introduction to direct objects is also included in the video.
8. Spanish Practice Activity: Using Common -ER and -IR Verbs
In this video, students will hear speakers describe what they do during the week. The grammatical emphasis will be on regular -er and -ir verbs in context. After each speaker is finished, translations will be provided.
9. Spanish Practice Activity: Evaluate Your Comprehension of -ER and -IR Verbs
This video will allow students to listen to brief conversations in Spanish about what people eat and drink at various meals, with a focus on regular -er and -ir verbs. Comprehension questions will follow each one.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Spanish 101: Beginning Spanish course
- Greetings & Introductions in Spanish
- Describing People in Spanish
- Locations in Spanish: Vocabulary & Grammar
- Household Terms in Spanish
- Weather and Seasons in Spanish
- Spanish Numbers
- Days & Dates in Spanish
- Telling Time in Spanish
- Likes and Dislikes in Spanish
- AR Verbs in Spanish: Present Tense Conjugation and Vocabulary List
- Pastimes in Spanish
- Technology in Spanish
- Talking About Family Members in Spanish
- Shopping in Spanish
- Discussing the Past in Spanish
- Talking About Vacations in Spanish
- TV, Movies & Media in Spanish
- Discussing Community in Spanish
- Discussing Natural Disasters/Emergencies in Spanish
- As a Child in Spanish
- Spanish Fables
- Required Assignments for Spanish 101
- Studying for Spanish 101