About This Chapter
ESL Holiday Lessons & Activities - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you'll find activities, games, and even songs that can help ESL learners expand their knowledge of American cultural holidays. Use these resources to build lessons plans for holidays throughout the year, including Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.
How It Helps
- Improves cultural awareness: Including ESL lessons about holidays in your curriculum can increase your students' understanding of American culture.
- Enhances vocabulary: Being able to associate vocabulary with larger themes, such as holidays, can help your students remember the meaning of words.
- Improves student engagement: Use these activities to break up class lectures and engage your ESL students in learning.
By the end of this chapter you should be able to:
- Create ESL lesson plans that incorporate Halloween activities and games
- Teach ESL students about Thanksgiving with fun activities
- Share popular Christmas songs with your ESL students
1. Teaching ESL Students Months of the Year: Games & Activities
Research has shown that engaging students in games is a great way to activate deep learning. This lesson offers group and individual games and activities for ESL students to learn the months of the year.
2. Season Questions for ESL Students
Learning to talk about the seasons can be a powerful aspect of learning to communicate in English. This lesson gives you some questions that will get your students talking and listening.
3. Months of the Year in Spanish Activities & Games
This lesson describes games and activities that put months of the year in context so students can use them in a practical manner. The activities require getting students to use the months while playing/practicing.
4. Invitations Lesson Plan for ESL Students
In this lesson plan, ESL students will learn about invitations. After examining authentic invitations for their purpose and key details, they will create an original invitation of their own.
5. ESL Time Clause Activities
If your English as a second language (ESL) students are learning how to use time clauses, a great way to make this material stick is through fun activities. This lesson describes some engaging ways to practice time clauses.
6. ESL Conversation Questions About Holidays
In this lesson, teachers will learn about using discussion questions to facilitate conversations between English as a Second Language (ESL) students about holidays. A list of specific conversation questions will be included.
7. New Year Questions for ESL Students
In this lesson, teachers will learn how to use discussion questions about New Year's Eve and New Year's Day with English as a Second Language (ESL) students. A list of sample discussion questions about students' background knowledge, experiences, opinions, and memories as they relate to New Year's will be included.
8. Birthday Questions for ESL Students
Talking about birthdays can be a great way to get your students' conversational skills going! This lesson offers some questions that will prompt discussion.
9. Halloween Discussion Questions for ESL Students
In this lesson, teachers will learn about how to use Halloween discussion questions with their English as a Second Language (ESL) students. A list of sample questions will be included.
10. Halloween ESL Activities & Games
This lesson goes over some fun Halloween activities that you can do in class to celebrate with your students. The activities some of the activities can tie into previous lessons. These activities are good for both adult and child learners of ESL.
11. Thanksgiving Discussion Questions for ESL Students
In this lesson, teachers will learn how to teach English as a Second Language (ESL) students about the American holiday of Thanksgiving. There will be a list of discussion questions that can help facilitate conversations between students about this holiday.
12. ESL Thanksgiving Activities
In this lesson, you will learn a few different activities that can be used for a class on Thanksgiving. The activities also include different skills that your students can practice.
13. Christmas Discussion Questions for ESL Students
Your ESL students may or may not celebrate Christmas, but Christmas is a main holiday in the English-speaking world, so they should learn about it and know how to discuss it. This lesson gives you some questions for interesting discussions about Christmas.
14. ESL Christmas Activities & Games
This lesson contains activity ideas to teach Christmas topics, including vocabulary and readings on the subject. The activity ideas are designed to engage students in the practical usage of language related to Christmas.
15. Christmas Songs for ESL Students
This lesson will provide Christmas songs ESL teachers can use to teach about, or celebrate, Christmas traditions with ESL students. Focus will be placed on incorporating the songs into lessons for language development.
16. ESL Christmas Lesson Plan for Adults
This lesson plan introduces the vocabulary, traditions, and customs of Christmas to adult ESL learners. Students will learn vocab through Christmas stories and discussion, then they'll explore Christmas symbols and listen to Christmas carols to better familiarize themselves with the holiday.
17. ESL Chinese New Year Lesson Plan
Use this lesson to help your ESL students learn about Chinese New Year. They'll do some engaging activities to help them learn about symbols and traditions from the important holiday.
18. ESL Remembrance Day Lesson Plan
Remembrance Day is the focus of this lesson plan for ESL students. ESL students will discuss the different names for Remembrance Day, its symbols, and its meaning, and will read poetry written about Remembrance Day.
19. April Fool's Day ESL Lesson Plan
April Fool's Day is a fun tradition in the United States, but not all ESL students will be familiar with it. With this lesson plan, higher-level ESL students will learn about this holiday, and practice appropriately celebrating it.
20. ESL Carnival Lesson Plan
In this lesson plan, ESL students will learn about carnivals. There is a focus on carnival related vocabulary. After an introduction to the carnival vocabulary words, students will participate in a BINGO game and create a mural.
21. ESL Christmas Eve Writing Prompts
Your ESL students probably have many interesting traditions for Christmas Eve, which you can use as a basis for writing prompts. This lesson offers a few sample writing prompts about this holiday.
22. ESL New Year's Eve Writing Prompts
When the end-of-the-year holidays are approaching, you can include New Year's Eve as a topic for writing. This lesson gives you some writing prompts that get your ESL students to describe this holiday, but also to express some interesting opinions.
23. ESL Thanksgiving Writing Prompts
Thanksgiving is certainly a great time of year to have our ESL class write essays about the symbolism of the holiday. This lesson provides you with some prompts your students will enjoy to help them feel like part of the holiday.
24. ESL New Year's Lesson Plan
This lesson plan includes New Year's celebrations and traditions for an ESL classroom. Students will write New Year's resolutions, participate in a mock celebration, sample New Year's foods, and summarize what they have learned in a letter.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Activities & Resources for Teaching ELL course
- ESL Vocabulary for Business & Life Skills
- Discussing Business & World Issues with ESL Students
- Discussing Culture & Health with ESL Students
- Discussing Travel with ELL Students
- Discussing Food with ELL Students
- Discussing Relationships & Family with ELL Students
- Movies & Drama for ELL Students
- ESL Vocabulary for Holidays & Time of Year
- World Cultures for ELL Students