About This Chapter
ESOL Instructional Approaches - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you can view short lessons on various ESOL instructional approaches. Communicative language teaching, the total physical response method and the SIOP model are just a few of the approaches covered. This chapter is designed to help you do the following:
- Use teaching techniques for language learning
- Define communicative language teaching and provide examples
- Outline the natural learning approach to second-language acquisition
- Discuss the total physical response method
- Identify the cognitive academic language learning approach
- Detail the components and process of the SIOP model
When you study using this chapter, you'll have access to informative and easy-to-follow lessons and quizzes to help you navigate these topics. Our instructors can answer questions you submit through the Dashboard if you find you need help. Each lesson is accompanied by a short quiz to assess your knowledge, and the comprehensive test at the end of the chapter makes a helpful test prep tool.
1. Teaching Techniques for Language Learning
In this lesson we discuss several popular and effective methods, approaches, and teaching techniques that can help your students learn a new language.
2. Communicative Language Teaching: Definition, Overview & Example
The purpose of language is communication. But how can educators teach good communication to English language learners? In this lesson, we'll examine one method, communicative language teaching, and its strengths and challenges.
3. The Natural Learning Approach to Second-Language Acquisition
The natural approach to second language acquisition is a theory of language learning and teaching that says learning a second language should be similar to learning one's first language.
4. Total Physical Response: Method & Examples
Movement can be an incredibly powerful method for second language acquisition. In this lesson, you'll learn about Total Physical Response (TPR), a strategy for teaching beginner second language learners.
5. Cognitive Academic Language Learning Approach
In this lesson, you'll learn about the cognitive academic language learning approach, a method used to help English language learners gain academic fluency in English. Terms are defined, an example is provided, and a short quiz follows.
6. SIOP Model: Definition, Components & Process
If you are getting into teaching according to the SIOP model, this lesson will be very useful. We will go over the basis of the model, the various components, as well as the process of employing those components in the classroom. Read on to learn more.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE ESOL K-12 (047): Practice & Study Guide course
- Cultural Elements & Adaptation
- How Cultural Differences Impact Students
- Promoting Multicultural Sensitivity & Diversity in the Classroom
- Elements of Language
- Teaching Components of Language for ELL
- Second Language Acquisition & Development
- Language Functions, Skills & Proficiency
- Second Language Literacy Development
- Literacy & Language Research
- Models of ELL Instruction
- Teaching Speaking & Listening Skills
- Writing Skills Instruction
- Instructional Strategies for ELL Classrooms
- Selecting & Adapting Instructional Materials for ELL Students
- Technology in ELL Instruction
- ELL Rights & Court Cases in Florida
- ELL Assessment Issues
- ELL Learners with Exceptionalities
- Language Proficiency Assessments in Florida
- Classroom-Based Assessments of ELL Students
- Collaboration & Advocacy for ELL
- Professional Development Organizations & Resources for ESOL Teachers
- FTCE ESOL K-12 Flashcards