About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering comprehensive English material for the NY Regents Exam will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster or easier way to learn comprehensive English. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding characteristics of different types of essays
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning English (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about types of essays
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra English learning resources
How it works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the essay basics: types of essay chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the essay basics: types of essay chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any essay types question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in an essay basics: types of essay unit of a standard NY Regents Exam - Comprehensive English course. Topics covered include:
- Narrative essays
- Characteristics of a descriptive essay
- Structure of an informative essay
- Persuasive essay definition
- Format of an evaluative essay
1. Narrative Essay: Definition, Examples & Characteristics
Essays come in many forms. In this lesson, you'll learn all about a narrative essay, from its basic definition to the key characteristics that make for an engaging and effective essay.
2. Descriptive Essay: Definition, Examples & Characteristics
A descriptive essay allows you to paint a picture for your reader in words. Watch this video to learn more about the techniques and elements that can help you fill the picture with lots of great details.
3. Informative Essay: Definition, Examples & Structure
There are many ways to inform your reader on a topic, from comparing and contrasting to providing a simple definition. Watch this lesson to learn about informative essays and how they educate readers through different formats.
4. Evaluative Essay: Examples, Format & Characteristics
A good evaluative essay helps a writer present an opinion using criteria and evidence. Learn all about the evaluative essay and its components in this lesson.
5. Expository Essays: Types, Characteristics & Examples
The facts, just the facts: expository essays are not about giving an opinion or taking a side. In this lesson, we will learn about the different types of expository essays and check out a few examples.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Comprehensive English: Help and Review course
- Sentence Structure: Elements of Grammar: Help and Review
- Sentence Structure: Understanding Grammar: Help and Review
- Usage in English: Help and Review
- Organization: Help and Review
- Writing Mechanics: Help and Review
- Essay Basics: Writing an Essay: Help and Review
- The Writing Process: Development & Planning: Help and Review
- The Writing Process: Writing & Structuring an Essay: Help and Review
- The Writing Process: Revision & Improving Your Essay: Help and Review
- Writing Structure & Organization: Help and Review
- Reading & Understanding Essays: Help and Review
- Interpreting Theme & Meaning: Help and Review
- Figurative Language: Help and Review
- Examples of Literary Analysis: Help and Review