About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other comprehensive English work.
- Identify the essay concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our NY Regents Exam - Comprehensive English tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about types of essays and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding basic types of essays, such as narrative, descriptive, informative, persuasive or evaluative, or any other essay basics and types of essays topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their English learning
- Prefer learning English visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their types of essays unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in preparing for the NY Regents Exam - Comprehensive English
- Don't have access to their English teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning types of essays simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live English tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn essay types on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- List the characteristics of narrative essays.
- Take a look at examples of descriptive essays.
- Describe the structure of informative essays.
- Define persuasive essays.
- Understand how evaluative essays are formatted.
1. Narrative Essay: Definition, Examples & Characteristics
Essays come in many forms. In this lesson, you'll learn all about a narrative essay, from its basic definition to the key characteristics that make for an engaging and effective essay.
2. Descriptive Essay: Definition, Examples & Characteristics
A descriptive essay allows you to paint a picture for your reader in words. Watch this video to learn more about the techniques and elements that can help you fill the picture with lots of great details.
3. Informative Essay: Definition, Examples & Structure
There are many ways to inform your reader on a topic, from comparing and contrasting to providing a simple definition. Watch this lesson to learn about informative essays and how they educate readers through different formats.
4. Evaluative Essay: Examples, Format & Characteristics
A good evaluative essay helps a writer present an opinion using criteria and evidence. Learn all about the evaluative essay and its components in this lesson.
5. Informal Essay: Definition, Format & Examples
You might not find a definitive guidebook to writing informal essays, but you can certainly learn more about them in this lesson. Read on to find out more about the features and characteristics of a genre you're most likely an expert on already!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Comprehensive English: Tutoring Solution course
- Sentence Structure: Elements of Grammar: Tutoring Solution
- Sentence Structure - Understanding Grammar: Tutoring Solution
- Usage in English: Tutoring Solution
- Organization: Tutoring Solution
- Writing Mechanics: Tutoring Solution
- Essay Basics: Writing an Essay: Tutoring Solution
- The Writing Process: Development & Planning: Tutoring Solution
- The Writing Process: Writing & Structuring an Essay: Tutoring Solution
- The Writing Process: Revision & Improving Your Essay: Tutoring Solution
- Reading & Understanding Essays: Tutoring Solution
- Interpreting Theme & Meaning: Tutoring Solution
- Figurative Language: Tutoring Solution
- Examples of Literary Analysis: Tutoring Solution