About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Essay Types chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Narrative essay||Definition, point of view, narrative, pacing, organization|
|Tuesday||Descriptive essay||Definition, simile, metaphor, spatial, chronological|
|Wednesday||Informative essay||Definition, introduction, compare and contrast, analyze data|
|Thursday||Persuasive essay||Definition, thesis, proposal, biases|
|Friday||Evaluative essay||Definition, judgment, criteria, evidence, background information, conclusion|
1. Narrative Essay: Definition, Examples & Characteristics
Essays come in many forms. In this lesson, you'll learn all about a narrative essay, from its basic definition to the key characteristics that make for an engaging and effective essay.
2. Descriptive Essay: Definition, Examples & Characteristics
A descriptive essay allows you to paint a picture for your reader in words. Watch this video to learn more about the techniques and elements that can help you fill the picture with lots of great details.
3. Informative Essay: Definition, Examples & Structure
There are many ways to inform your reader on a topic, from comparing and contrasting to providing a simple definition. Watch this lesson to learn about informative essays and how they educate readers through different formats.
4. Evaluative Essay: Examples, Format & Characteristics
A good evaluative essay helps a writer present an opinion using criteria and evidence. Learn all about the evaluative essay and its components in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP English Literature Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Literary Theory Lesson Plans
- Literature Interpretation Lesson Plans
- Rhetorical Devices Lesson Plans
- Poetry Lesson Plans
- Types of Poetry Lesson Plans
- Prose Lesson Plans
- Prose Fiction Lesson Plans
- American Literary Periods Lesson Plans
- American Literary Analysis Examples Lesson Plans
- English Literary Periods Lesson Plans
- English Literary Analysis Examples Lesson Plans
- Grammar Review Lesson Plans
- Essay Writing Conventions Lesson Plans
- Beginning the Writing Process Lesson Plans
- Writing & Structuring an Essay Lesson Plans
- Writing Revision & Skill Development Lesson Plans
- About the AP English Literature Test