About This Chapter
1. Grana in Biology: Definition & Function
Grana are a necessary part of the process of photosynthesis. In this article you will learn exactly what grana are: their structure, function, and prevalence, and will test your knowledge with a short quiz.
2. Radial Symmetry in Biology: Definition & Examples
One way that animals are broadly categorized is based on their body symmetry. Radial symmetry is one type, and here, we will explore what it is and what organisms exhibit it. Once you get to the end of the lesson, you can test your knowledge with a brief quiz.
3. Selective Permeability: Definition & Overview
This lesson will provide you with a definition of selective permeability. Also, an example and illustration will be provided to support your understanding of the process.
4. Spontaneous Generation: Definition, Theory & Examples
Did you know that people (scientists included) thought that mice came from wheat and old shirts? Learn about theory of spontaneous generation and the centuries-long debate over its validity.
5. Taxon: Definition & Examples
Categorization and organization are key to better understanding our world. In biology, we have a classification system known as taxonomy. In this lesson, we'll look at the idea of a taxon in biology.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the General Studies Science: Help & Review course
- Chemical Compounds & Bonds Overview
- Drawing Conclusions from a Scientific Investigation
- Electricity Fundamentals & Overview
- Energy & Heat Overview
- Essential Chemistry Concepts
- Essential Concepts in Physics
- Evolutionary Principles
- Genetics & Evolution Overview
- Food Webs Overview
- Components of Living Things
- Intro to Biodiversity, Adaptation & Classification
- Human Body Systems: Functions & Processes
- Foundations of Chemical Compounds & Bonds
- Foundations of Chemical Reactions, Acids, and Bases
- Foundations of Energy & Heat
- Foundations of Magnetism
- Fundamentals of Mechanics
- Lab Equipment for Scientific Study
- Measurement & the Metric System Fundamentals
- Nuclear Energy Fundamentals
- Planning a Scientific Investigation Or Experiment
- Plant & Soil Ecology
- Populations & Relationships in Ecology
- Sound & Light Waves
- Studying Biological Communities
- The Periodic Table, Atoms & Elements
- Using Data for Investigation & Experimentation
- Scientific Data: Organization, Analysis & Drawing Conclusions
- Types of Living Things
- Plant Structure & Processes
- Fundamentals of Matter
- Mechanics of Physics
- Introduction to Relativity
- Fundamentals of Electricity
- Introduction to Magnetism
- Fundamentals of Waves, Sound and Light
- Space, The Solar System and the Universe
- Introduction to Atmospheric Science
- Geology Basics
- Fundamentals of Genetics