About This Chapter
1. How to Convert Grams to Amu
This lesson explains the concept of the Atomic Mass Unit (AMU). The definition and significance of the unit is explained. The lesson also uses examples to describe how to convert from grams to AMU.
2. Malleability in Chemistry: Definition & Examples
This lesson defines malleability and the origin of this physical property. The lesson provides examples of how malleability of metals can be observed in everyday life.
3. Mixture in Chemistry: Definition & Examples
Very few of the chemicals and substances we encounter on a daily basis are in their pure form. Many of them are mixtures. In this lesson, you will learn about the types of mixtures recognized by scientists.
4. Primary Structure of Protein: Definition & Overview
The primary structure of a protein is what is encoded in the DNA. All other protein structures involve folding of the protein, chemical interactions within the protein, and protein-protein interactions. This lesson describes primary protein structure.
5. Reactant in Chemistry: Definition & Examples
This lesson defines reactants within chemical reactions and how reactants are written in chemical reactions. The role of chemical reactions in reactions is explained, and several examples are provided to provide important context.
6. Reduction in Chemistry: Definition & Overview
When atoms are greedy for electrons, they steal them from other atoms. This reduces their charge. You can see the effects of reduction in the world around you. Learn more about reduction in chemistry and see some examples of it.
7. Significant Figure: Definition, Examples & Practice Problems
In this lesson, you'll learn about the concept of significant figures and apply it to addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. You'll learn what numbers are significant, why they are significant, and how to deal with zeroes in a number.
8. Solubility in Chemistry: Definition & Properties
This lesson defines solubility and discusses this property in the context of chemistry. The lesson also includes a discussion of the impact that temperature and intermolecular interactions can have on solubility.
9. Strong Acid: Definition & Examples
Acids are very common in nature and in chemical reactions. In this lesson, you will learn what makes a substance an acid and how to recognize strong acids from others.
10. Strong Base: Definition & Examples
Next time you open your medicine cupboard or pick up some cleaning supplies, beware you might be handling some strong bases! In this lesson, learn the definition of a strong base and where you can find them, then test your new knowledge with a quiz.
11. Tertiary Structure of Protein: Definition & Overview
Tertiary protein structure turns a simple polypeptide with pretty little ribbons and twists into a big, globular mass. Amino acid side chains are the culprit. Read this lesson to find out why.
12. The Law of Definite Proportions: Definition & Examples
Have you ever had to double a baking recipe? The trick is to always keep the ingredient proportions the same as in the original recipe. This cooking principle follows the Law of Definite Proportions in chemistry, which is the focus of this lesson.
13. What are Calories? - Definition & Explanation
In this lesson, the concept of the calorie is defined as a measurement unit for energy. A brief history of the development of the calorie is included in the lesson as well as examples of unit conversions and basic calculations with this unit.
14. What Are Chemical Properties? - Definition & Examples
Characterizing substances by their properties is essential in identifying them. In this lesson, you'll learn how chemical properties give us clues about the nature of a substance by looking at some common examples.
15. What Is a Chemical Change? - Properties, Types & Examples
Chemical changes are fundamental changes that produce new combinations of matter. A distinction is made between chemical and physical changes. The signs of chemical changes are discussed, and several types of chemical changes are explored in this lesson.
16. What Is a Chemical Compound? - Definition & Examples
Very few single chemical elements are encountered in everyday life. In this lesson, you will learn about chemical compounds through some examples to gain a better understanding of what they are and how they form.
17. What is a Chemical Formula? - Definition, Types & Examples
Chemical formulas provide a lot of information about chemical substances, such as how many and what atoms they are made of, as well as the way the atoms are arranged. In this lesson, we'll discuss the different types of chemical formulas.
18. What Is a Chemical Property of Matter? - Definition & Examples
All matter is characterized based on its properties. In this lesson, you will learn about the different chemical properties of matter and ways to identify them.
19. What is Chemistry? - Definition, History & Topics
Chemistry is the science of matter. This may sound simple, but chemistry is a complex and broad topic that broaches a wide variety of fields. From the core of the earth to the farthest reaches of the universe, chemistry is everything and everywhere.
20. What is Inorganic Chemistry? - Definition, Impact Factor & Examples
With this lesson, you will learn the definition of inorganic chemistry. You will also learn the types of inorganic compounds, how they react and their applications in several industry sectors.
21. What Is Scientific Notation? - Definition, Rules & Examples
Scientific notation is part of the language of math and science and allows us to deal with a vast array of numbers, large and small. Learn more about what it is, why it's important, and how to use it.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the General Studies Science: Help & Review course
- Chemical Compounds & Bonds Overview
- Drawing Conclusions from a Scientific Investigation
- Electricity Fundamentals & Overview
- Energy & Heat Overview
- Essential Biology Concepts
- Essential Concepts in Physics
- Evolutionary Principles
- Food Webs Overview
- Foundations of Chemical Compounds & Bonds
- Foundations of Chemical Reactions, Acids, and Bases
- Foundations of Energy & Heat
- Foundations of Magnetism
- Fundamentals of Mechanics
- Lab Equipment for Scientific Study
- Measurement & the Metric System Fundamentals
- Nuclear Energy Fundamentals
- Planning a Scientific Investigation Or Experiment
- Plant & Soil Ecology
- Populations & Relationships in Ecology
- Sound & Light Waves
- Studying Biological Communities
- The Periodic Table, Atoms & Elements
- Using Data for Investigation & Experimentation