About This Chapter
Essential Math Review - Chapter Summary
This chapter breaks down a large number of mathematical operations. The lessons within demonstrate the process of solving different kinds of problems while fleshing out the components involved. Topics discussed include finding the square root of a number, calculating mean, median, mode and range, as well as all of the following:
- Finding a number's prime factorization
- Working with fractions and mixed numbers
- Decimal notation
- Operating with percentages and decimals
- Word problems
- Ratios and proportions
These lessons include both a video and transcript of the content, allowing you to select the method of learning you prefer. The timeline feature beneath every video makes for a great navigational tool, while the transcripts are full of bolded words that make it easy to spot key terms and topics. If you find yourself struggling, you can always seek assistance from our professional instructors using the teacher or help tab.
1. How to Find the Square Root of a Number
What is a square root? In this lesson, we'll learn what a square root is and how to find it. We'll review a variety of examples in order to master the concept.
2. How to Find the Prime Factorization of a Number
The prime factorization of a number involves breaking that number down to its smallest parts. This lesson will show you two different ways to discover the prime factorization of any number.
3. How to Calculate Mean, Median, Mode & Range
Measures of central tendency can provide valuable information about a set of data. In this lesson, explore how to calculate the mean, median, mode and range of any given data set.
4. How to Add and Subtract Unlike Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Simple fraction arithmetic gets a little more complicated when our denominators don't match. In this lesson, we'll learn how to add and subtract unlike fractions. Then, we'll do the same with mixed numbers.
5. Multiplying Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Multiplying fractions is much more straightforward than adding, subtracting or dividing fractions. In this lesson, learn how it works. We'll also learn how to multiply mixed numbers.
6. Dividing Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Dividing fractions and mixed numbers? It sounds daunting, but it's not as tricky as it sounds. In this lesson, we'll learn how to divide fractions and mixed numbers.
7. Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication, and Division with Decimal Notation
Performing operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication and division has some differences when there are decimals involved. This lesson will explain how to perform these operations all while keeping the decimals straight.
8. Calculating & Converting Percentages, Fractions & Decimals
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to convert between percentages, fractions, and decimals easily and quickly. Learn the steps you need to take for each type of conversion.
9. Solve Problems Using Percents
Percents are your friend. Think of all the cool things percents do for you. They save you money, and they tell you how well you are doing in school. Learn how you can solve problems with percents in this video lesson.
10. Solving Word Problems: Steps & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can solve word problems by following this 3-step process. Learn how to visualize your problem so you fully understand it. Then learn how to write and solve your equations.
11. Solving Word Problems with Multiple Steps
Not all word problems are so straightforward that they only require you to do one operation and you're done. Some are more complicated, requiring several steps. Watch this video lesson to learn how to solve these kinds of problems.
12. Calculations with Ratios and Proportions
Even if only 99 out of 100 people need to know how to work with ratios, the odds that they'll be useful to you are very high. In this lesson, we'll practice performing calculations with ratios and proportions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PAX RN: Practice & Study Guide course
- Fundamentals of Reading Comprehension
- Learning & Using Vocabulary
- Basic Arithmetic Operations
- Exponents, Polynomials & Quadratics
- Properties of Geometric Shapes & Angles
- Cell Biology Overview
- Anatomy & Physiology Overview
- Biology of Living Things
- Characteristics and Life Functions of Organisms
- Scientific Method & Reasoning
- Understanding Chemistry Basics
- Chemical Changes & Reactions
- Physics Concepts
- Speed, Acceleration & Momentum
- PAX RN Flashcards