About This Chapter
Essential Nutrients - Chapter Summary
This chapter provides an in-depth look at essential nutrients. Instructors have compiled materials and developed lessons that make it easy to brush up on your knowledge of fats, carbohydrates, vitamins, water and more. Review these lessons at your leisure. In no time, you will have the knowledge to:
- Discuss simple and complex carbohydrates
- Describe saturated, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats
- Explain the importance and dietary needs associated with proteins and amino acids
- Share the importance and sources of vitamins we need
- Identify food sources for minerals, and describe how they function in the body
- Provide details about water's role as a nutrient
The lessons in this chapter are available as videos with fun visual effects and full transcripts with helpful vocabulary words. Timelines are located beneath the videos that allow you to identify and skip to key topics without watching lessons in full. Before, during and after reviewing the lessons, feel free to test your knowledge of essential nutrients by taking short lesson quizzes. A chapter exam is also available to reinforce concepts explored in the lessons.
1. Simple & Complex Carbohydrates: Dietary Needs
This lesson will explore the many different kinds of carbohydrates found in food. You'll learn about monosaccharides, disaccharides, polysaccharides, and much more!
2. Saturated, Monounsaturated & Polyunsaturated Fat: Dietary Needs
Fat has been derided as being really bad for you despite serving many important functions. You'll learn about these functions and the different kinds of fat you may encounter as well as why a lot of fat can truly, in the end, be bad for you.
3. Proteins & Amino Acids: Importance & Dietary Needs
Can protein become fat? How much protein do we need? What's the difference between an essential and a complete protein? You'll find out that and much more as we go over the nutritional aspects of proteins.
4. Vitamins We Need: Their Importance & Sources
There are a lot of different vitamins, and they come from many different places! This lesson will teach you about what they are, how many different kinds you need, what they do, and where you can obtain them naturally.
5. Minerals in Our Food: Functions in the Body & Food Sources
Minerals are important substances that help your body's form and function on many different levels. This lesson will go over some important ones, what they do, and where they are found in our diets.
6. Water's Role as a Nutrient: Importance & Dietary Need
Water is an important thing for the entire world and the world inside your body. This lesson will point out why it's important for you and how much you need on a daily basis.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CSET Health Science Subtest II (179): Practice & Study Guide course