About This Chapter
Establishing Professionalism at Work - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter introduce your employees to the standards and expectations for professionalism in the workplace before setting out some ideas on how employees can display professionalism while at work. Videos are led by expert instructors who offer various scenarios and examples to help employees implement these skills into their day-to-day work. Employees, team leaders and supervisors can watch these videos to learn about:
- Methods for maintaining professionalism at work
- Influence of culture on professionalism standards
- Fulfilling commitments, dressing appropriately and treating others with respect
- Importance of boundaries at work
Comprehensive and entertaining video lessons demonstrate the various ways employees can show their professionalism while at work. Lesson quizzes are available to help you gauge your employees' comprehension of the keys required to maintain workplace professionalism. The chapter closes with a chapter exam to verify employees' mastery of important concepts.
How It Helps
- Builds awareness: Employees who understand the reasons for professionalism in the workplace are able to recognize the benefits that can result, such as improved employee performance and a better working environment.
- Establishes a foundation: By learning how standards and expectations for professionalism are determined and what impact different situations have on professionalism, employees can build a strong foundation and improve their professional work image.
- Provides appropriate tools: These lessons provide all the tools your employees need to implement and maintain a professional work environment.
By viewing the lessons in this chapter, employees will be able to:
- Identify the keys needed to maintain a professional work environment
- Understand how the business world judges professionalism
- Describe how professional expectations and standards are used
- Be aware of the role of culture in establishing standards of professionalism
- Learn the different ways to show professionalism in the workplace
- Examine areas where workplace boundaries are important, such as in communication and relationships
1. Professionalism in the Workplace: Definition & Maintenance
Being a true professional is a valuable and rewarding attribute. Use the keys in this lesson to learn how to increase your professionalism, maintain your dignity, and demonstrate your commitment.
2. Expectations & Standards for Professionalism at Work
In this lesson, we will discuss how professionalism is judged in the business world and who or what determines the definition of professionalism in the workplace.
3. How to Demonstrate Professionalism in the Workplace
In this lesson, you will learn tips for showing professionalism in the workplace. You will also learn how to avoid problems with co-workers and supervisors.
4. The Importance of Creating Boundaries in the Workplace
Creating boundaries can help ensure a positive workplace environment for everyone. In this lesson, we'll review the importance of creating workplace boundaries as they apply to relationships, communication, and employee exploitation.
5. Practical Application: Assessing Professionalism in the Workplace
Professionalism helps a workplace run smoothly and avoid unnecessary distractions at work. In this practical application, we'll look at one way to assess professionalism in the workplace.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the The Importance of Professionalism in the Workplace course