About This Chapter
Establishing Professionalism at Work - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter introduce your employees to the standards and expectations for professionalism in the workplace before setting out some ideas on how employees can display professionalism while at work. Videos are led by expert instructors who offer various scenarios and examples to help employees implement these skills into their day-to-day work. Employees, team leaders and supervisors can watch these videos to learn about:
- Methods for maintaining professionalism at work
- Influence of culture on professionalism standards
- Fulfilling commitments, dressing appropriately and treating others with respect
- Importance of boundaries at work
Comprehensive and entertaining video lessons demonstrate the various ways employees can show their professionalism while at work. Lesson quizzes are available to help you gauge your employees' comprehension of the keys required to maintain workplace professionalism. The chapter closes with a chapter exam to verify employees' mastery of important concepts.
How It Helps
- Builds awareness: Employees who understand the reasons for professionalism in the workplace are able to recognize the benefits that can result, such as improved employee performance and a better working environment.
- Establishes a foundation: By learning how standards and expectations for professionalism are determined and what impact different situations have on professionalism, employees can build a strong foundation and improve their professional work image.
- Provides appropriate tools: These lessons provide all the tools your employees need to implement and maintain a professional work environment.
By viewing the lessons in this chapter, employees will be able to:
- Identify the keys needed to maintain a professional work environment
- Understand how the business world judges professionalism
- Describe how professional expectations and standards are used
- Be aware of the role of culture in establishing standards of professionalism
- Learn the different ways to show professionalism in the workplace
- Examine areas where workplace boundaries are important, such as in communication and relationships
1. Professionalism in the Workplace: Definition & Maintenance
Organizations expect their employees to behave in a manner that projects professionalism. Explore the definition of professionalism in the workplace, and ways to maintain professionalism, including treating others with respect, and keeping your word
2. Expectations & Standards for Professionalism at Work
Professionalism refers to the behavior that professionals display when conducting business. Learn about expectations and standards for professionalism at work, and recognize how both culture and situations affect professionalism.
3. How to Demonstrate Professionalism in the Workplace
Modeling professionalism in the workplace is a valuable skill for workers and managers alike. Explore the importance of establishing a professional tone with proper hygiene, dress, virtuous character, and other basic responsibilities related to employment.
4. The Importance of Creating Boundaries in the Workplace
Establishing appropriate boundaries at work and communicating them early on is essential. Learn how to create workplace boundaries to avoid exploitation, misunderstandings, and other common problems.
5. Practical Application: Assessing Professionalism in the Workplace
Professionalism helps a workplace run smoothly and avoid unnecessary distractions at work. In this practical application, we'll look at one way to assess professionalism in the workplace.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the The Importance of Professionalism in the Workplace course