About This Chapter
Estimation & Math Problem-Solving - Chapter Summary
This chapter serves as a fantastic resource for individuals interested in understanding the basics of estimation and math problem-solving. Entertaining lessons help you grasp this subject in a short period of time and enable you to do the following:
- Use estimation to solve mathematical problems
- Estimate addition and subtraction problems using front-end estimation
- Utilize estimation to simplify and solve problems
- Verify results you've calculated using estimation
If you are concerned that your busy schedule could impact your ability to study estimation and math problem solving, don't worry! This chapter enables you to access the lessons around-the-clock using any computer or mobile device with an Internet connection. Save more study time by taking short quizzes that can find out how much you already understand about the lessons. The practice exam can test your overall comprehension of this chapter.
1. Solving Mathematical Problems Using Estimation
Estimating is a method of calculating a result that is close to, but not exactly, the correct answer to a math problem. Why would you ever need to do this? This lesson reviews estimating and answers the question as to why you would do it.
2. How to Use Front-End Estimation
In this video lesson, you will learn how to estimate addition and subtraction problems by using the method of front end estimation. Learn what is involved and what you need to be careful of.
3. Estimation: One & Two Operation Problems with Positive Decimals
After watching this video lesson, you will learn how using estimation can help you simplify your problem so that you can solve it much easier. Learn how estimation can help even when you need to solve for a missing variable.
4. Verifying Calculated Results with Estimation
As enjoyable as math can be, it is sometimes hard to know if you calculated everything correctly. Wouldn't it be nice if there were an easy way to check your answers? In this lesson, you'll learn how to use estimation to double check your work.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Pennsylvania Algebra I Keystone Exam: Test Prep & Practice course
- Real Numbers & Expressions
- Understanding Exponential Expressions
- Working with Radical Expressions
- Understanding Absolute Value Expressions
- Solving Problems with Polynomials
- Solving, Writing & Graphing Linear Equations
- Solving Problems with Systems of Equations
- Solving & Graphing Linear Inequalities
- Understanding Function Basics
- Using Scatter Plots
- Understanding Basic Statistics
- Interpreting & Graphing Data
- Understanding the Probability of Compound Events
- Pennsylvania Algebra I Keystone Exam Flashcards