About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering counseling fundamentals material will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster or easier way to learn counseling fundamentals. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding ethical behavior and legal aspects of counseling
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning counseling (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about ethical and legal issues in counseling
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra counseling learning resources
How it works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the ethical and legal issues in counseling chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the ethical and legal issues in counseling chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any question on ethical and legal issues in counseling. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in an ethical and legal issues in counseling unit of a standard counseling 101 course. Topics covered include:
- Counselor licensing requirements
- Types of certification and continuing education requirements
- Ethical and unethical behavior in counseling
- Legal concerns and issues in counseling
- Civil and criminal liability and malpractice
- Rights of minors
1. Counselor Licensing and Certification Requirements
Have you wondered about licensure or certification as a counselor? Are you curious about the difference between them? In this lesson, we will be looking at licensure and certification, what the differences and similarities are, and the requirements.
2. The Importance of Ethics in Counseling
In this lesson, we will be looking at the ethical issues a new counselor should be familiar with and prepared to handle. These issues include things breaching confidentiality and financial issues.
3. Legal Issues in Counseling
In this lesson, we will be looking at the legal issues in counseling. We will be discussing the importance of credentialing, what the client's rights are regarding their records, privileged communication, duty to report child abuse, and duty to warn.
4. Civil and Criminal Liability and the Rights of Minors in Counseling
In this lesson, we will learn about legal issues counselors need to consider when going into practice, such as general information on civil and criminal liability, malpractice, expert and lay witnesses, premature termination, and the rights of minors.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Counseling 101: Help and Review course
- The History of Counseling and Psychotherapy: Help and Review
- The Professional Counselor: Help and Review
- The Counseling Process: Help and Review
- Theoretical Approaches in Counseling: Help and Review
- Human Growth and Development in Counseling: Help and Review
- School Counseling: Help and Review
- Career Counseling: Help and Review
- Help & Review for Substance Abuse, Mental Health & Rehabilitation Counseling
- Social and Cultural Elements of Counseling: Help and Review
- Marriage and Family Counseling: Help and Review
- Group Counseling: Help and Review