About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering college environmental science material will benefit from taking this course. You will be able to grasp the subject matter faster, retain critical knowledge longer and earn better grades. You're in the right place if you:
- Have fallen behind in understanding environmental worldviews or environmental ethics, justice and legislation.
- Need an efficient way to learn about the ethical and political processes of the environment..
- Learn best with engaging auditory and visual tools.
- Struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD.
- Experience difficulty understanding your teachers.
- Missed class time and need to catch up.
- Can't access extra science learning resources at school.
How it works:
- Start at the beginning, or identify the topics that you need help with.
- Watch and learn from fun videos, reviewing as needed.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Submit questions to one of our instructors for personalized support if you need extra help.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Ethical and Political Processes of the Environment chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Ethical and Political Processes of the Environment chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any relevant question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
In this chapter, you'll learn the answers to questions including:
- What is the definition of environmental ethics?
- What are some examples of environmental justice?
- How does an environmental impact statement work?
- What steps are involved in environmental decision making and planning?
- What are the goals and processes associated with environmental legislation?
- How are future energy, pollution and population issues expected to affect the environment?
1. Environmental Ethics & Human Values: Definition & Impact on Environmental Problems
Environmental ethics take into consideration the moral obligations human beings have concerning the environment. Learn how environmental ethics and human values affect our ability to understand and solve environmental problems.
2. Environmental Worldviews: Western & Deep Ecology
Environmental worldviews are the commonly shared beliefs that give groups of people a sense how humans should interact with the environment. Learn about two contrasting environmental worldviews: western and deep ecology.
3. What is Environmental Justice? - Definition, Principles, Examples & Issues
Environmental justice is a movement that grew from the recognition of a disproportionate number of environmental burdens in certain communities. It works to ensure a healthy environment for all regardless of race, nationality, income, gender or age.
4. Environmental Planning & Decision Making: Definition & Components
Environmental planning and decision making take into consideration the needs of society and the natural environment when developing an area. Learn how environmental planning and decision making are carried out to create sustainable outcomes.
5. What is Environmental Legislation? - Laws, Regulations & Timeline
Environmental legislation is a collection of many laws and regulations aimed at protecting the environment from harmful actions. Learn about the National Environmental Policy Act and other environmental laws.
6. What is an Environmental Impact Statement? - Definition, Requirements & Example
An Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) is a document that takes into consideration the environmental impact of a proposed action. Learn how an EIS is used to ensure that the goals of the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) are met.
7. Environmental Full Cost Accounting: Definition & Example
Environmental full cost accounting recognizes the economic, environmental, health and social costs of an activity. In this lesson, learn why the use of environmental full cost accounting is important during the decision-making process.
8. Economics, Natural Capital & the Environment
Natural capital is the resources and services derived from nature that are of value to people. Learn why protecting natural capital is important for sustainable growth and economic development.
9. National Income Accounts and The Environment: Definitions & Limitations
National income accounts are a measurement of economic activity within a nation. However, they have limitations. Learn how national income accounts fail to take into consideration important factors such as environmental degradation.
10. The Economics of Pollution: Marginal Cost of Pollution & Optimum Amount of Pollution
There is an optimum amount of pollution where marginal benefit equals the marginal cost of pollution. Learn how marginal cost, marginal abatement cost and marginal benefit are considered when determining the optimum amount of pollution in this lesson.
11. Incentive-Based Regulatory Approaches: Environmental Taxes & Tradable Permits
An incentive-based regulatory approach aims to reduce environmentally-harmful pollutants by offering inducements to polluters who limit their emissions. Learn how environmental taxes and tradable permits are utilized to help protect the environment.
12. World Trade Rules & Environmental Policies
Environmental policies help the environment by managing human activities. Learn how world trade rules and environmental policies relate to each other and the impact they can have on environmental protection in this lesson.
13. Future Environmental Concerns: Population, Food Supply, Energy & Pollution
There are many issues that raise future environmental concerns. Learn how the environment may be impacted by the growing population and food and energy needs of the world, as well as growing pollution concerns as we move through the 21st century.
14. Causes and Effects of Thermal Pollution
Pollution always seems to be a hot topic. From air pollution to the pollution of our drinking water, we are constantly aware of how we are changing our planet. In this lesson, we'll explore the causes and effects of one type of pollution: thermal pollution.
15. Environmental Virtue Ethics: Hursthouse & Sandler
Philosophers have long been concerned with ethics and what it means to do the right thing. In this lesson, we'll talk about virtue ethics, which is all about how people make virtuous choices, especially regarding humans' relationship to the environment.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Introduction to Environmental Science: Help and Review course
- Environmental Science Basics: Help and Review
- Ecosystems: Help and Review
- Interaction Among Organisms in the Ecosystem: Help and Review
- Evolving Ecosystems: Help and Review
- Atmospheric Science and the Environment: Help and Review
- Geological Science: Help and Review
- Biological Science: Help and Review
- Pollution of Freshwater Resources: Help and Review
- Bioremediation: Help and Review
- Land Resources: Help and Review
- Population and the Environment: Help and Review
- Food and Agricultural Resources: Help and Review
- Solid and Hazardous Waste: Help and Review
- Human Impact on the Environment: Help and Review
- Renewable Resources: Help and Review
- Nonrenewable Resources: Help and Review
- Environmental Sustainability: Help and Review
- Environmental Risk Analysis: Help and Review