About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering ethical issues in group counseling material will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about ethics in group therapy. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding ethical issues in group counseling
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning about group counseling (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about ethical issues in group counseling
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra psychology learning resources
How It Works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Ethical Issues in Group Counseling chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Ethical Issues in Group Counseling chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any ethics question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in an ethical issues in group therapy unit of a standard group counseling course. Topics covered include:
- Licensing and certification requirements for counselors
- Ethics in group counseling
- The importance of ethics in group counseling
- Legal issues in counseling
- Civil and criminal liability
- The rights of minors in counseling
1. Counselor Licensing and Certification Requirements
Have you wondered about licensure or certification as a counselor? Are you curious about the difference between them? In this lesson, we will be looking at licensure and certification, what the differences and similarities are, and the requirements.
2. Issues and Ethics in Group Counseling
Imagine you are joining a therapy group. What would your concerns be? In this lesson, we will be discussing the ethics that must be followed in group counseling. Ethical guidelines protect group members and are the responsibility of the group leader.
3. The Importance of Ethics in Counseling
In this lesson, we will be looking at the ethical issues a new counselor should be familiar with and prepared to handle. These issues include things breaching confidentiality and financial issues.
4. Legal Issues in Counseling
In this lesson, we will be looking at the legal issues in counseling. We will be discussing the importance of credentialing, what the client's rights are regarding their records, privileged communication, duty to report child abuse, and duty to warn.
5. Civil and Criminal Liability and the Rights of Minors in Counseling
In this lesson, we will learn about legal issues counselors need to consider when going into practice, such as general information on civil and criminal liability, malpractice, expert and lay witnesses, premature termination, and the rights of minors.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Group Counseling Strategies: Help & Review course