About This Chapter
Ethical, Legal & Professional Issues in Psychology - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you will be introduced to the many different legal and ethical issues that professional psychologists face in their work. Our instructors explain major issues in group counseling, companies, and healthcare, including end of life concerns. You'll also learn about ethical research and publication standards and regulations, including informed and regular consent, credentialing, and peer reviewing. Specific ethical and legal issues addressed in this chapter include:
- Practice management and supervision
- Professional issues in subsets such as forensics, law enforcement, and psychopharmacology
- Patients' right to confidentiality, records and treatment
- Breaching confidentiality and the professional duty to warn and to report
- Civil and criminal liability
- Integrity, relationships, conflicts of interest, and advertising in groups and companies
Our professional teachers use engaging video lessons to provide information simply and quickly. You may determine your understanding of the subjects with the interactive quizzes, and revisit specific subjects in the video transcript or by using the tags on the Timeline. Track your progress through your Dashboard to keep organized as you make your way through this chapter and course.
1. Potential Ethical Dilemmas for Psychologists
This lesson discusses ethical dilemmas as they relate to psychology and psychologists. The concept of ethics is defined and it is made clear why psychologists need to be ethical. A series of possible dilemmas is also outlined along with a look at the APA guidelines.
2. Ethical Issues Concerning Life & Death: Terms & Definitions
In this lesson, explore some of the ethical issues in the medical world concerning the inducement of death and the prolonging of life. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
3. The Importance of Credentials for Health Care Professionals
What is credentialing? Why bother with credentials? What is checked during a credentialing process in the health care field? This lesson answers these questions!
4. Ethical Issues & Mental Health: Right to Treatment, Informed Consent & Confidentiality
When someone goes to see a mental health professional, they have legal and ethical rights that are meant to protect them. In this lesson, we'll explore three major rights of patients: confidentiality, the right to treatment, and informed consent.
5. Legal Issues in Counseling
In this lesson, we will be looking at the legal issues in counseling. We will be discussing the importance of credentialing, what the client's rights are regarding their records, privileged communication, duty to report child abuse, and duty to warn.
6. Civil and Criminal Liability and the Rights of Minors in Counseling
In this lesson, we will learn about legal issues counselors need to consider when going into practice, such as general information on civil and criminal liability, malpractice, expert and lay witnesses, premature termination, and the rights of minors.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Examination for Professional Practice in Psychology (EPPP): Study Guide & Practice course
- Neuroanatomy & Bases of Behavior
- Neurophysiology & Behavior
- Psychopharmacology Classification & Guidelines
- Behavioral Genetics Overview
- Methodologies for Biological Bases of Behavior
- Elements of Cognition
- Principles of Learning
- Models of Motivation & Emotion
- Cognition & Health
- Psychosocial Factors in Health
- Social Perception & Cognition
- Social Interaction in Psychology
- Group Dynamics in Psychology
- Environmental & Evolutionary Psychological Perspectives
- Social-Contextual Issues & Human Behavior
- Race & Ethnicity in Psychology
- Psychology of Gender & Sexuality
- Disability & Rehabilitation
- Immigration & Cultural Issues
- Human Lifespan Development
- Human Development Risk Factors
- Assessment, Diagnosis & Psychometrics
- Psychological Assessment Models & Instruments
- Psychological Assessments
- Diagnostic Classification Systems
- Using Data in Psychology
- Technology & Assessments in Psychology
- Psychology Treatment, Prevention & Supervision
- Consultation Models in Psychology
- Psychology Career Counseling
- Healthcare Systems & Wellness
- Research Methods & Statistics
- Research & Evaluation in Psychology
- Psychology Ethical Codes & Standards
- EPPP Study Guide & Practice Flashcards