About This Chapter
Ethical Practices & Skills in the Workplace - Chapter Summary
This online ethics training chapter lays out the essentials of ethical conduct, policies and dilemmas in the workplace. Consisting of short lessons that are taught by expert business instructors, this chapter helps your staff see why ethics is an important aspect in common business situations, such as negotiation, communication, promotions and wages. Your employees will also take a look at the code of business conduct and the elements of ethical decision making. The chapter is accessible online at any time that fits your employees' schedules, and they can reinforce their understanding of these topics by taking the accompanying assessments.
How It Helps
- Builds awareness: The chapter's lessons help employees become aware of the importance of ethics in multiple areas of business.
- Provides example scenarios: The chapter includes a lesson that helps employees practice evaluating examples of ethical dilemmas in the workplace.
- Improves ethical conduct: After your employees complete the chapter, they'll be able to apply a variety of skills that can improve the overall ethical climate of your organization.
By the end of the chapter, your employees should be able to:
- Assess the importance of ethics training, policies and reporting programs
- Recognize the standards of the code of business conduct
- Utilize ethical decision-making skills
- Contextualize business ethics in regards to promotions, wages, negotiations and communication
- Evaluate ethical considerations that should be made in project management
- Identify, evaluate and resolve ethical issues in business management
- Analyze several ethical dilemma scenarios for various stakeholders
1. The Importance of Ethics Policies, Training & Reporting Programs in the Workplace
In this lesson, you will learn the importance of ethics policies, training and reporting programs in the workplace that help provide safeguards to maintain an ethical environment.
2. Code of Business Conduct: Ethics, Standards & Examples
It is important that businesses conduct themselves in a legal and ethical manner. In this lesson, you'll learn about codes of business conduct and how they relate to business ethics and standards. A short quiz follows the lesson.
3. Ethical Decision Making
We have to make decisions every day, and many of these decisions have an ethical dimension. In this lesson, you'll learn about ethical decision-making and a process you can use to make ethically sound decisions. A short quiz follows.
4. The Role of Business Ethics in Wages & Promotions
In this lesson, we will discuss favoritism and ethical and fair wages from the perspective of business ethics in the workplace. Favoritism can play an unfair role in the promotion process.
5. Ethics in Project Management
This lesson explores what ethics means in project management and why it's important. By the end of the lesson, you'll be able to identify ethical and unethical situations in project management.
6. What is the Role of Ethics in Negotiation?
If ethics are moral principles that guide our behavior, how do we apply ethics to a negotiation? In this lesson, we'll examine what ethical conduct is in a negotiation and how to tell if someone is behaving ethically.
7. Ethical Communication in the Workplace
In this lesson, we'll discuss the meaning of ethical communication, typical communication situations in a business environment, examples of unethical communication, and why ethical communication is important in business environments.
8. Identifying, Evaluating, & Resolving Ethical Issues in Business Management
Ethical issues are found in life and at work. In this lesson, we focus on the latter and learn how to identify, evaluate, and resolve such issues when you are faced with them.
9. Practical Application: Ethical Dilemma Scenarios for Stakeholders
Stakeholders of a business often face ethical scenarios that need quick and effective action. In this lesson, you'll be able to apply what you know about stakeholder ethics to resolve three hypothetical scenarios.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.