About This Chapter
Ethics and Social Responsibility in Organizations - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, our video instructors explain the role of social responsibility in businesses, corporations, and other organizations. You'll be introduced to the issues involved in creating and maintaining an ethical organizational climate. This chapter will also discuss the definition of business ethics and how such ethics are applied in contemporary business.
You'll learn about positive culture in organizations. As you progress through this chapter, you'll study the differences and overlaps between laws and ethical rules. After you complete this chapter, you should be able to:
- Define social responsibility, organizational ethical climate, business ethics, and ethical culture
- Compare and contrast positive culture and ethical culture in organizations
- Discuss corporate social responsibility in the context of business ethics
- Understand how ethics and social responsibility apply to the needs of a global marketplace
- Differentiate between laws and ethical rules
Our online video lessons on ethics and social responsibility in organizations each include a video presentation hosted by a professional instructor. Each lesson comes with a self-assessment quiz and a written transcript as an alternative way to access the information in the lesson. Stuck on a vocabulary term? You can click on most of the key words in the transcript, and they'll take you to a text lesson where you can read about the topic in further detail.
1. Social Responsibility in Organizations
Watch this video lesson to learn how companies put into practice their social responsibilities. Learn how a socially responsible company helps the environment, people, and employees along with giving freely to society.
2. Organizational Ethical Climate: Definition, Issues & Improvement
Organizational ethical climate refers to the moral atmosphere of the work environment and the level of ethics practiced within a company. Instrumental, caring, law and order, rules, and independence are the five types of ethical climate that can exist in an organization.
3. Ethical Culture and Positive Culture in Organizations
In this lesson, you will learn how an ethical and positive culture can be created in an organization and why it is important for organizations to establish an ethical and positive culture.
4. Business Ethics: Corporate Social Responsibility
Now that companies are concerned with society's welfare, corporate social responsibility is a controversial topic. In this lesson, learn the two theories of social responsibility and the arguments for and against the practice.
5. Business Ethics in Contemporary Businesses
The concept of ethics is easy to give examples of but hard to define. In this lesson, we will discuss ethics and how they apply in the business world, as well as discuss an example of an ethical situation using Enron.
6. Ethics and Cause-Related Marketing
Do you avoid a specific store entrance when people are collecting money for charity outside? In this video, you will learn more about social responsibility and, specifically, the growth of cause-related marketing.
7. Ethical Behavior in Marketing: What Are Marketing Ethics?
Watch our lesson to learn the definition of ethics and how it relates to business and marketing. You will also learn about the idea of ethical business behavior.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Marketing for Teachers: Help & Review course
- How Organizations are Structured & Designed
- General Business Management
- Business Law & Regulation
- Economic Basics
- Business and the Economy
- The Economy and the US Government
- Entrepreneurship & Types of Businesses
- Marketing Basics
- Product Pricing & Selling
- Product Development & Distribution
- Promotion & Advertising
- Selling & Customer Service
- Market Research and Segmentation
- Strategic Planning for Marketers
- Global Business Strategies and Challenges
- Business Communication
- Business Analytics
- Computer Basics for Business
- The Internet and Business
- Marketing Education
- Career Planning for High School Students
- Laying the Foundation for a Marketing Career
- Marketing Employment Skills
- Marketing Career Stages
- Marketing Instruction & Assessment